lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #1
Scruff
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default RXV Rear Step Receiver and hitch

OK, so I got my rear step receiver installed and just put the 8in drop receiver on. Just to test, I stood on the end of the receiver and could see the whole step plate bend a little.

Now I know I check in a little big at 240 but I now have some concerns about pulling an atv/garden wagon like this.

Does anyone else have any experience towing this way. It was recommended to do it this way because of the rear seat.
Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-14-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
lococummins
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: RXV Rear Step Receiver and hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruff View Post
OK, so I got my rear step receiver installed and just put the 8in drop receiver on. Just to test, I stood on the end of the receiver and could see the whole step plate bend a little.

Now I know I check in a little big at 240 but I now have some concerns about pulling an atv/garden wagon like this.

Does anyone else have any experience towing this way. It was recommended to do it this way because of the rear seat.
I would like to see some pictures of your setup. The wagon shouldnt have 240 lbs of tounge weight so I don't think you should have issues. just my opinion though
lococummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
Scruff
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

No problem - I will snap a pic this afternoon and post.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:48 PM   #4
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Like Loco said,It should be fine,considering that the tongue weight will likely be alot less,but I would look and make sure its' set-up properly,maybe a brace or bracket is missing,or damaged?Is it factory-installed or an add-on?It may not be built properly.I've seen hitches built(some even factory),even on trucks,that I wouldn't tow a Sno-Tube behind!!!Snap some pics.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:39 PM   #5
Scruff
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

20121215_141304_resized.jpg
Old 12-16-2012, 05:17 AM   #6
1moretoy
Never really finished

Mixed Breed

with that much drop the issue is no longer just tongue weight. The tongue weight if the receiver is installed properly should be ok but it is designed to handle the established tongue weight and simple push/pull factor. But now you have changed the geometry and the weight of the trailer being towed when you stop and start will try to now "twist" the receiver putting more strain on the mounting points. Just my two cents.
1moretoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:07 AM   #7
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

If you need that much drop,build a receiver that drops vertically,as to yours that drops vertically and horizontally.Any drop will increase leverage,8"-drop probably quadruples the force on the hitch.You are putting the weight farther down,but also farther behind the cart.You could add a diagonal-brace to the frame,that the back of the receiver can rest against to keep it from flexing.Make it so that it pins onto the draw-bar and the frame,that way when you remove it,there isn't a bar hanging down.You could even weld a bracket on the bottom of the tube,and swing the brace up and pin it there for storage,then its' always on the cart.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:10 AM   #8
Scruff
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I only went with the 8" drop to level out the garden wagon. I could go back to the 2" drop but obviously the load will shift toward the rear of the wagon all the time. That would help take some of the tongue weight off I guess but somewhat limits what I can use it for.

I think before I do anything else - I am going to invest in heavy duty springs. Like several of the other RXV threads, the back of these are way to soft.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:13 PM   #9
Jerj7907
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I was considering putting a hitch on my RXV. Have you thought about plating in the bottom between the mounting straps? Maybe while you are at it make stronger brackets that mount to the cart.
Jerj7907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:03 AM   #10
Scruff
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The brackets are the weak point of the setup. After I install some HD springs, I will probably take it to a welding place and have them work on the brackets. After looking at my buddies club car rear seat, He has what looks to be like small "I" type beams... much stonger than what I have.

I just never thought that there could be that much of a difference in seat setups.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO