lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-18-2012, 09:33 AM   #1
cfstokes55
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Check the controll box on 94 ezgo

i have a 94 ezgo and the solinoid clicks but there is no go. i was just wondering how to test the controll box. i have a feeling that that is the problem just want to test the box befor i buy one to replace it. andy help would be great thanks
cfstokes55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-18-2012, 10:09 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Check the controll box on 94 ezgo

Jack rear wheels off ground and put on jack stands so half ton cart doesn't take off unexpectedly and run over someone or something.

Connect Negative DVM test lead to B- terminal on top of controller.
Connect Positive test lead to M- terminal.

With charger unplugged from cart, Keyswith ON and F/R in F, press pedal unit solenoid first clicks.
You should read FULL battery pack voltage between B- and M-. (38.2V for a fully charged 36V battery pack)

If not, move the positive test lead to test poits closer to the main positive terminal on battery pack until you find it.
The problem will be between the first place you find it and the last place you didn't.

If you do get FULL battery pack voltage between B- and M-, slowly press pedal to floor.
The voltage should smoothly decrease to zero.
If not either throttle input to controller is bat or controller is bad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - Series- Hi-Current traced.JPG (59.3 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:41 AM   #3
cfstokes55
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

ok i test the box like u said and i think i may have other issues. when the pedal was first pressed the volts jumped to 36 as i slowly contenued to press the pedal it would start to decline but stoped at 29 volts and didnt go any more.

so would this mean it would be in the pedal box.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

It could be the ITS or the controller or the battery pack or cable connections.

What is the battery pack voltage and what does it do when pedal is pressed?
36V is less than 50% charged, so the batteries need to be charged.

Do you have a Digital Multimeter? If not you need one. An inexpensive one in a blister pack from an auto parts or discount store will be sufficient.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:00 AM   #5
cfstokes55
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

its a 36 volt system the charge cut off so i asumed it was fully charged. but when you press the pedal the batterie pack drops about 2 to 3 volts. now i also tested the wire going in to the pedal box and the white and black one when you press the pedal have only 14 volts max that it reaches to.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfstokes55 View Post
its a 36 volt system the charge cut off so i asumed it was fully charged. but when you press the pedal the batterie pack drops about 2 to 3 volts. now i also tested the wire going in to the pedal box and the white and black one when you press the pedal have only 14 volts max that it reaches to.
Here is a Voltage vs State of Charge chart. The charger is going to shut off when the on-charge voltage reaches approximately 45V, but what the at-rest voltage is depends on the batteries health and some other things. Dropping 2 or 3 volts when the pedal is pushed without anything moving or smoking is not a sign of healthy batteries.

To check the ITS measure from the main negative post on the battery pack to pins-2 (Black wire) on the controller. It should be between 9.0V & 11.5V.
If so, attach positive test lead to Pin-1 (white wire).
Pedal up should be 0.4V to 0.6V
Pedal down should be 1.5V to 1.7V
Attached Images
File Type: jpg StateofChargeChart.jpg (53.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-18-2012, 12:17 PM   #7
cfstokes55
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

think we may be on to something, the frist reading (black wire) didnt do anything. if i pushed the pedal while testing it it would read .4 but nouthing when not pressed. the second test (white Wire) didnt have any reading at anytime. i guess it may be safe to say this is my problem. and you more that likely right about the batteries being weak it dose have tree dif brands in the cart came this way when i bought it but it ran good so i never replaced them.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:30 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfstokes55 View Post
think we may be on to something, the frist reading (black wire) didnt do anything. if i pushed the pedal while testing it it would read .4 but nouthing when not pressed. the second test (white Wire) didnt have any reading at anytime. i guess it may be safe to say this is my problem. and you more that likely right about the batteries being weak it dose have tree dif brands in the cart came this way when i bought it but it ran good so i never replaced them.
I forgot to mention the pedal had to be pressed until solenoid clicks.

There is a 4 pin connector in the cable bundle that goes to the Pedal box, unplug it and read voltage on pin-2 again.
It should be 13.0V to 15.5V.
If so, the ITS coil is bad
If not, the controller is bad. (Or pin-2 isn't making good contact or the wire is bad)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO