lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-30-2012, 06:12 PM   #1
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default My Series just stopped!!!

Ok...here's what happened. My 48-V with an Alltrax 600 controller and heavy duty F\R switch with fully charged batt's....I had my two nephews over to do a tire swap on my Silverado. So, they took the cart in 4" of snow around the back to put on two mounted snow tires and haul 'em around (up a hill) to my car garage.

Well, my nephew said he heard some clicking on the first trip...and smelled sumpin burning.

On the second trip...half way up the hill the cart just quit.

So, I went down and looked at it. The solenoid is "clicking" and I'm getting the green light on the controller.....but I didn't pay attention to see if I got the solid green light. I was looking to see if I got the initial blinking green...which I did. It was cold and windy, and I am not feeling well at all. So, the cart will be out there until tomorrow when I can un-hitch the trailer and get the truck to a point where I can winch the cart up and get it into a warm garage to diagnose.

But....any thoughts on this??? BTW, the batt charge indicator shows a full charge when I turn on the key.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-30-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: My Series just stopped!!!

need to know the pack volts/numbers, does the solenoid click when you press the go pedal??, look for a burnt battery cable, a melted battery post, or a loose connection
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:35 PM   #3
stewmagoo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I had the same thing on mine, granted this was with a stock controller. I thought I had smoked the stock controller. I put in my new Alltrax and no go! Got to tracing wires, and I had burned the cable at the lead at the motor.
stewmagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:24 PM   #4
DaveTM
Gone Wild

It could be a loose connection. I'll do a check on that. I just installed (about two month ago) eight new trojan six volt batteries. All new cables as well....but I've been hunting a lot and something could have come loose.

Again....felt way too under the weather today to even pull it up over the hill. I am hoping to feel better tomorrow to get it into my heated garage and see what I can see.

I'll post what I find out.

Thanks for your replies!!!
Old 12-31-2012, 12:16 PM   #5
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Ok, now that I have the cart in the garage, and I've had a chance to look things over, plus do a few things....here's some info and here is what I've done so far:

My controller is an Alltrax AXE 4855 ITS. When i power it up, I get on half-throttle 4 green blinks, then a solid green light. When I power it up on full throttle, I get 4 green blinks and a solid yellow light. From what I have read on the alltrax site, this is normal. So, it appears my controller is working fine.

My batteries are new as I have stated. So are my cables. I've looked at all of them and checked 'em for tightness. All are good.

Now, I had a new F\R switch sitting on my shelf for about a month. I haven't installed it because I've been just plain busy. So....no time like the present. I just finished 90% of the install when my back finally said STOP RIGHT NOW!!!

So, I have to finish this install and I will get back to you.

Dave
Old 12-31-2012, 12:52 PM   #6
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Dave, when your back allows it, check the 4 cables attached to the motor. It only takes one bad one to shut the cart down.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:10 PM   #7
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Gorno,

I just got done. I checked all cables. All cables....even the ones to the motor are brand new. I replaced them all because I had been getting heat issues with them. My nephew told me he was smelling something burning before it just shut down. (Just to be clear...yes...I did scoot under it and checked my motor cables....all was good and all connections were tight. Honest!!! I'll give you a picture of the mud on my jeans!!!)

So, when I give it power I hear the (I believe it's the solenoid ) clicking and not the controller. I show power to the battery meter.

Is it possible the motor just went? Or....is there a way to jump past the solenoid? (I'm thinking 68 Chevy here)
Old 12-31-2012, 02:27 PM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Lift the cart on jack stands and sniff around. If it smelled like something was burning just before it died, you may be able to still smell what overheated.

Maybe your nephew can help, since he may remember the smell, and probably doesn't have a bad back.

Even if all of your cables are new, you still may want to remove and inspect each one, as it's possible something on the back side of one of the cables may show signs of overheating.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:01 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Did you finish the F&R swap? I thought it sounded like an melted F&R initially.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:28 PM   #10
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Did you finish the F&R swap? I thought it sounded like an melted F&R initially.

Yeah....done. I'm done now with my rest #3, so I'm gonna go back out to the garage....spit on the cart, call it a few names, and the check the cables again.

But the F\R switch is all back together and working smoothly. If I can't get it running......I can't hunt. Then all I can do is.....drink heavily tonight.

I'll update you on the cable check.

Dave
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO