lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-06-2013, 03:49 PM   #101
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Anyone for 3-Bank Battery Charger ?

Agreed on the lower rates (to some extent) and longer times = comparable results. But no charge algorithm? I think they will nix-say on that.
Why not ask them what charger they recommend for their batteries?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-06-2013, 09:42 PM   #102
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Those 3 paragraphs were copied and pasted directly from the Trojan link indicated, in an attempt to try to help answer a question raised here. Some actual chargers, as recommended by Trojan, for their batteries would be very interesting info. In my case, I'll be continuing to use my EZGO "Powerwise" charger, which should have the correct charging algorithm for my Trojans. In the meantime I'm staying "tuned" here. - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:11 PM   #103
seulater
Getting Wild

I will call them to put this all to rest.

I sure hope they approve of my new charger. When i use the new 3 bank one i never smell anything in my 2 car garage. When i use the Ezo-go charger and walk into my garage you can clearly smell the gassing.
seulater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:00 PM   #104
seulater
Getting Wild

I now have the answers straight from the horses mouths. So if any of you have a problem with the answers do not shoot the messenger. Put your opinions / misconceptions aside and get the facts from the manufacturer's directly.

I emailed Trojan with the questions we all had, and also sent the Gen3 charger link for them to look at.

Here is that e-mail response.

Quote:
The 10-13% of C20 is for infrequent cycling where recharge time is not a factor. Hence a lower charge rate such as 5% can be used, but depending on how deep the battery was discharged, it may take multiple charges to get batteries back up to full charge state. The 20% of C20 is recommended of situations where daily cycling is occurring and at this rate, the recharge time will be from 8 to 10 hours.
Since some of my other questions were not addressed in his reply i then called them and talked to the tech. We talked on the phone for 45 minutes.
Got some good info.

I asked him flat out, do they recommend this and other bank chargers.
He said i cannot speak for every bank charger out there but the one you shown me i would recommend baised on the information. He said and i quote "it is better to charge batteries individually than string charging" He went on to say that you can charge them at 1A of you like it will just take longer, the initial bulk charge current is not to be exceeded. There is no lower end to be concerned about and does not affect sulfation by charging at a lower current. The higher float voltage at the end of the charge cycle is what de-sulfates the plates.
He also said that charging the batteries properly to begin with keeps the sulfate down. Bank chargers do just that, they charge them far better than any series charger can.

I then called Genius chargers and talked to tech support there. Talked with him an hour. He was a low level guy like me so our engineering lingo was a good match. I did not tell him what Trojan said, and asked him the same questions. He virtually said the exact same thing. Charging batteries individually is far superior to string charging. The most ideal set up would be to have 6 - 6v chargers on the cart, but economically that would not be practical. (which is exactly what i said some many posts ago). Like me he put down the old fashioned wire transformer technology (heavy stock chargers) compared to the new switch mode. I asked him about sulfation. He said that the main thing to do is maintain you batteries properly first, and charge them properly which is what bank charging can only do over series charging. The stock charger has no way to know if one battery in the pack is over or under charged. it has to go by the highest or lowest battery to determine that. So if one battery is complete in the charge but another requires more, then that battery over gasses needlessly. Bank charging eliminates that which is why its better.

NOTE: the gen3 charger i listed here does NOT have the built in desulfate mode. I asked him if i were to get your G3500 which does, how often would you recommend that i use it. HE said every quarter and added that if you were using the stock charger i would use if far more but being that your charging them properly with a bank charger this dramatically reduces the sulfation to begin with.

I would also like to add that the Trojan tech said at the end of our conversation. If you want to do a test to prove if any charger is working properly. Charge you batteries using the stock charger, let them rest 24 hours (minimum is 6) take a voltage reading. Then also take a hydrometer readings. Drive the cart for a few blocks, then charge it up again with the new charger you want to evaluate. If at the end of the charger and settle time the voltage and hydrometer reading are very close then the charger is ok to use.

SO, i am 99% convinced that the GEN3 or most any bank charger is the way to go. I will buy a hydrometer and do this last test to confirm then i will be 100%

I am glad of all of this, because the stock charger would stick up my garage with the smell. The Gen3 does not.
seulater is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO