lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #1
robnhood
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default keep hunting cart from burning up controllers

My friends hunting cart is having problems. he has a 36 volt series ezgo lifted with 22's/rear seat and stock components. it has already burnt up one controller and he had it replaced at the shop with the factory controller. well he called me yesterday and it would not go so he brought it by to see if i could figure it out. the wire going from the foward reverse switch to the controller had melted against the solenoid and burnt a post on the solenoid i pput new wires on it to see if it would work but still no go. the solenoid is clicking but nothing happens. i will check the voltage through everything this afternoon. i wasn't around when it burnt so i don't know what really happened but from the looks of the wire it is way too hot in the controller box. would that for sure fry the controller? and what all would he need to do to keep the heat down after we fix the problem to protect it in the future?
sorry for the long post. thanks
robnhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
caokgafamily
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: keep hunting cart from burning up controllers

Robinhood,
A friend of mine was having the same problem. He upgraded his controller to an 500 amp Alltrax and he hasn't had any more probs.
Steve
caokgafamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:15 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You need to go deeper into upgrading the drive system than just the control. The controller is like a gate valve for the battery amperage. If you increase the size of this valve for more amperage delivery then you also have to upgrade the delivery system for this increased amperage ... or you will create a bottleneck (resistance) and the resulting heat will melt wires, solenoids, & F&Rs

robnhood's friend's cart needs a controller, solenoid, cables, and F&R upgrade to be a reliable hunting buggie.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:38 PM   #4
robnhood
Getting Wild
Club Car

thanks guys and thanks scotty for spelling it out simple! i will show him the post so he can make the decision. i hate for him to keep replacing parts hoping it doesn't break and wasting money.
robnhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Yeah.....what Scotty is saying is true. My hunting cart has been running year round for 5 years and it really does get pounded. (well.....stuff that breaks is usually my fault....don't go back to my controller post....that was all my fault!!!)

But with the right wiring, F\R switch, and controller....you'll be out dare!!!

Dave
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:15 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I hate to see guys put a replacement stock or rebuilt stock controller on their hunting cart. I know it won't last but a little while and after buying 2 or 3 of em you could have had a big upgrade.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO