lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #1
CCW
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1998 TXT Torque/Load Cap Upgrade

I am looking to increase my torque and pulling capacity on my 1998 EZGO TXT (series, I believe). Not hung up on higher speeds. It spends 90% of it's time going up and down a 30* incline on semi rough terrain. Cart currently sits on a 6" lift and 20" Kenda all terrain tires. I primarily use the cart for hauling guns, ammo and gear back and forth to the range via rear cargo box.

I have looked around online and done research but I am seeing quite a few kits. Looking to upgrade motor, controller, wires, etc.

Please guide me in the right direction.

Thanks,
CCW
CCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1998 TXT Torque/Load Cap Upgrade

If it has a Run/Tow switch on the controller cover, it's a DCS. If not. It's a Series.

In either case, the 20" tires are costing you about 10% of the available torque.
To get more torque, you will have to allow the motor to draw more Amps or change the final drive ratio.

Your stock controller is in the 275A to 300A range so going to an aftermarket 400A or 500A controller would be a step in the right direction, but you will have to upgrade all the high-current cables (10 for a DCS, 12 for a Series) to at least 4Ga and the solenoid to at least 200A continuous. If it is a Series drive, the F/R switch also needs to be upgraded to a heavy-duty one.

Increasing battery pack voltage to 42V or 48V, will increase speed, but will also increase torque.

In addition, you can also go to numerically higher gears in the differential and/or to a high torque motor.

Here is some good info on how to go about building a cart to meet your needs: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Custom_Options.html
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:43 PM   #3
CCW
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

What all is involved in changing to 48v? (4) 12v batteries or would I need a new controller and motor also?
Old 01-08-2013, 05:41 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCW View Post
What all is involved in changing to 48v? (4) 12v batteries or would I need a new controller and motor also?
Controller and solenoid for sure. Stock motor works okay at 48V, but you may want to have it refurbished by Plum Quick or in the future, replace it with something more suited to you specific needs or wants. (IE: More torque)

A 4x12V battery pack is the least desirable option for 48V because it will be 155AH or less, so the run-time on each charge will be limited and the batteries themselves will have to be replaced sooner than with a higher Amp-Hour battery pack. Also, they won't fit in the existing battery rack, so you'll have to figure out how to make them fit.

The most common way, but not necessarily the best, is to use six 8V batteries. They have the same footprint as the existing batteries and you can get up to a 190AH 48V battery pack, which gives you about the same run-time and battery life expectancy as a 6x6V 36V pack.

The best 48V battery pack commonly used is eight 6V batteries. With standard grade batteries you can build a 225AH battery pack and with premium grade you can get up to 260AH, for long run-time and battery lifespan. Of course, there will be two more batteries you will have to find a place for.

In addition, you will need to get a charger that matches your battery pack voltage.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:26 AM   #5
CCW
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Im already running 6/6 so where do most people add the 2 additional 6's? In the bagwell maybe?
Old 01-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yes, you can put 2 in the bagwell or one under the driver's seat and one in the bagwell.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:37 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Mostly in the bag well, but some have shoehorned all 8 under the seat. (I don't know who else, but scottyb and yurtle have.)

I'm going with a 42V system and putting the seventh 6V (245AH) battery in empty space in from of the driver side wheel well.

With my stock 6x6V (225AH) 36V pack, I was carrying about 9.0 kWh of energy with me and with 7x6V (245AH) 42V pack I'll have about 11.4 kWh, which should give me about 26% longer run-time, or more.

I'll also pick up a little speed and a lot of torque, but my primary objective is range rather than speed and torque.

I say only a little speed because I've got a PDS cart, so just going to an aftermarket controller that doesn't limit motor RPM kicks the speed into the 20+ MPH range on stock height tires and the 6V increase in pack voltage won't up it much more than that. On the other hand, it will boost the torque by about 15%.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO