lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-01-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
kvl1027
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Where to ground my Aux battery?

Ok, so all the wiring and electric is not my forte and has me a bit clueless.
I am going to be running an aux battery behind the dash for my radio, lights, accessories. I have installed my light kit and rear bucket harness, which is currently hooked to the black ground from the OBC and positive terminal of my #1 battery (4X12v setup).

I want to run my aux battery to this:
Amazon.com: Blue Sea Systems Fuse Block Ato 6 Circuit with Ground: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Blue Sea Systems Fuse Block Ato 6 Circuit with Ground: Sports & Outdoors
and then run my accessories to the fuse block.

A few questions:

1. I am going to be running with this on-board charger:
Amazon.com: Powermania M108E 1-Bank Turbo Waterproof Marine Battery Charger, 8-Amp: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Powermania M108E 1-Bank Turbo Waterproof Marine Battery Charger, 8-Amp: Sports & Outdoors
Where is the best place to hook this up, straight to the battery terminals? (I'm assuming)

2. When I have the aux battery and I switch the power for my lights to the AUX battery, where is the best place and what is the best method to splice the aux battery in?

3. Where and how do I ground the Aux battery?

4. I would like to run some in-line switches to prevent power draw from my accessories, where in-line would be the best place to install?

Sorry if the questions are kind of dumb, but when it comes to the electrical I'm a dumby.

Cracs Test Dummy had some good diagrams that I bookmarked on my laptop earlier this year, but my laptop has since crashed and I'm having trouble finding the thread again.

Also, I want to install a digital voltage meter that I can switch back and forth between the Aux battery and 48v pack. Any thoughts on which meter and the best way to install?
kvl1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-02-2013, 08:16 AM   #2
rinman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Where to ground my Aux battery?

1) Yes hook the charger directly to the battery terminals.

2) The wiring you need to splice into is behind the dash. I did this a long time ago and can't remember what wires I tied into. I believe there is a post on here that tells which wires. If not I can take a look at mine.

3) Only thing you need to do is put your positive and negative wire to the fuse block you are purchasing. DO NOT ground the battery to the frame!

4) You can install your switches on the dash between your fuse block and accessories.

CTD diagrams will be great. If you search you should be able to find them if not I am sure he will jump on and get what you need.

Scotty B's (Carts Unlimited) digital meter is the best! It will support your aux battery and your pack. It also comes with instructions. You can buy a cheaper volt meter, but the quality is not even close. Save yourself the trouble and spend a little extra on Scotty's.

Good luck!
rinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:41 AM   #3
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Yeh you don't need to ground the aux battery. Just wire your fuse block to the + and - of the battery and then wire your accessories to the fuse block. Charge the battery just like you would if it weren't in the cart. I bought a battery tender and it came with a couple of quick connects. I leave one of them wired to my battery all the time so it's just a quick plug in to charge.

Keep in mind that if you put a switch between power and your radio, your radio won't be able to maintain your presets, clock, and settings with no power when the switch is turned off.

I don't know what kind of cart you have, but I originally had my accessories wired to the factory wiring behind the dash, which was powered off of one of my 12v pack batteries through the controller between the batteries. When I switched to an aux battery, which I installed in the bagwell floor under the rear seat, I just ran my + and - from the batter to the controller in place of the original wiring and then I didn't have to change anything behind the dash. But I'm not using a fuse block nor did I install any extra switches. I am using fused lines to all my accessories though.
SaltLifeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #4
kvl1027
Getting Wild

Club Car

One more question.

What is the best gauge wire to use to wire the battery to the fuse block and then to the accessorries?
kvl1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:55 AM   #5
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

here is how I installed my aux battery and how it is charged

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/album.php?albumid=2817
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:10 AM   #6
rinman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvl1027 View Post
One more question.

What is the best gauge wire to use to wire the battery to the fuse block and then to the accessorries?
From battery to fuse block I used 8 gauge, which is overkill, but I had some laying around. Not knowing what all accessories your going to hook this is a bit of a guess. I think 12 gauge wire from battery to fuse block would be plenty. Each accessory wire to the fuse block would depend on that accessory....just look at the wires they have on the accessory and use something close to that.

Good luck!
rinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car