lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-31-2014, 11:31 AM   #1
panteramatt
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default what year to look for?

Im looking for a project cart. Im going to want to lift it and put a bigger motor in it. Are there any years to look out for or that are better than others for customizing? And known problem areas to look for?
panteramatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-31-2014, 01:06 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: what year to look for?

Any of the Yamaha carts are good machines. What are you looking to do with it? Also what kind of budget are you dealing with?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 01:17 PM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

If money isn't an issue, go with something newer in really good condition. That way you aren't "repairing" things off the bat. I'd prob look for a G9 or G16 gas cart, tank the stock engine and go VC gx440 clone, or you have the money find a high horse Vanguard v twin. Def need some kind of long travel front with brakes, imho. You could build a nice cart for $3000 with bolt on parts, easy build too. It gets expensive if you want fancy paint and lots of pretty shiny stuff. Accessories are pricey too.

If you are on a budget, find a cheap G2, clone it, make a lift, and get bigger tires. Could be done for less than $2000.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:16 PM   #4
panteramatt
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Budget is $1500 total. I dont want to spend too much as it will be left vacant at my cabin all year long.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:04 PM   #5
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

$1500 is doable if you are fairly decent at fabrication work.My entire cart was built from the ground up with used,traded,and homebuilt parts with a bigblock for $1500.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:29 PM   #6
panteramatt
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Yea Im fairly crafty. Got a nice welder and plasma cutter
Old 01-31-2014, 06:56 PM   #7
AZZI
Gone Wild

Club Car

I built my '86 CC DS with a new VC440, new Comet 780 and new 23" Innovas for $1200 to date. I'll probably have another $200 after paint, I think that's pretty good for a reliable cart.
AZZI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:47 PM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

With $1500 the key for you will be the cost of the cart and how many repairs it needs. Make sure you look at the underside for rust. If there is a lot of frame rust....pass on it! You can find another. I suppose if you can find a usable frame and body for $300, that would give you $1200 for mods, that could buy a lot of bolt-ons and material to fab your own lift etc.

Good luck!
Old 01-31-2014, 09:15 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

You can do it cheap if you shop around. You will have to get a cart cheap, you need a 4 stroke if you want to put another engine in or you will not have reverse. Yamaha that is G2 or G9 they are about the same the 9 is early 90s the 2 older I think 91 is the year they changed but differences are minimal. If you can find a G16 or newer in your budget that is great. If you make the lift yourself that would save you. Wheels and tires you have to buy, though you might find used for a deal. If you can find an atv front cheap you can fab those on for a front. Depends on how far you want to go with it. Look up 'yamaha timeline golf cart' and it will show the yami carts, higher number is newer year. They like to rust under the battery, the steering can get clapped out, the motor can start burning oil and smoke, the clutches can wear out...when they get tons of hours on them.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:25 PM   #10
panteramatt
Gone Wild
Yamaha

What about the g8?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha