lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-12-2014, 06:34 PM   #1
panteramatt
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default secondary power spring

Will using a heavier power spring in the secondary reduce top speed? Ill be running 22" tires in the mountains so will need more power. Do they work good with the VC440 clone too? Hows this one, seems cheap http://www.ebay.com/itm/400646926081...84.m1423.l2649 or should I go with the umax spring?
panteramatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-12-2014, 07:09 PM   #2
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Default Re: secondary power spring

Call plowmans cArts tomorrow and when dianne answers ask to speak to don. If he is busy leave a messege and he will call you right back.

810-736-4686
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:24 PM   #3
hello
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I would not waste your money call DON as soon as u can.
hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:10 PM   #4
panteramatt
Gone Wild
Yamaha

So spring is a no?
im not gonna call don to waste his time just wanted an answer to order or not?
Old 03-12-2014, 08:38 PM   #5
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

The standard-issue power spring is a "one size fits all",if you deal with Don,you will get the parts for your specific application,and it will work.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:56 PM   #6
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Your not gonna waste his time. He enjoys talking about performance mods on these carts. Very down to earth pleasant person that has a passion about what we enjoy as well.
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:08 PM   #7
panteramatt
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Yea i actually called him last week about his posi.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:13 PM   #8
robertakamagoo
Gone Wild

Yamaha

He was very nice to me. He asked me what I do with it I now know a two seat golf cart with back set is no stock. Thank god he call me before he started working on my.
robertakamagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:31 AM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Geeze man, if you don't want to call and talk to the expert..... The reason you want to talk to Don Plowman about this is because it's not a "here's the right setup for everybody" situation. What Don will ask you is this:

1. What will you be using the cart for, the primary use?
2. What kind of recreational riding? Hill climbing?
3. How fast are you wanting to go top speed?
4. Do you pull anything like a trailer?
5. Are you having any shifting problems with your current setup?

It's not really a situation where any of us can say "Yep, get that spring, it's the one that will work." The truth is, it will probably work fine, but it might be too stiff. If it's too stiff, you will have lots of "low gear" and it will take a while for your cart to get into "high gear" for higher speeds. With a stiff spring, the cart will stay geared lower for pulling trailers and climbing hills, but it will not want to upshift very early and top speed sometimes suffers.

The other problem with buying one off the net without talking to someone....who knows what that spring rate is? It's just called "torque spring". So how do you know what it's going to do for your particular cart and setup. Don Plowman has his products figured out. He "knows" what they will do, and his experience will allow him to help you determine which mods you should do to achieve the end results you are looking for.

When it comes to Yamaha carts....Don "IS" the man!
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:38 AM   #10
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

With that said.....I am running a Plowmans performance secondary clutch with the stock gold spring. My engine is the built VC440 with about 30hp. Primary clutch is the stock Yamaha with the alum cover. It runs fantastic. I originally had the stock G2/G9 secondary on it, ran it for a few days, then switched to the Plowman's secondary clutch.....BIG difference. It now has a "snap" at just off idle. The clone engine is more made for upper low to midrange power. The low end is not as strong as a Vtwin, so in my opinion, the machined secondary helps with that and also gives better "backshifting". When I let off the throttle, it downshifts instantly, and I've never had a problem with the secondary sticking is "middle gear". With the torque spring it might be too much low gear, but if I needed to pull heavy trailers, like a boat at the boat launch ramp....I might go with a stiffer spring.

I have a Plowman's "RED" spring if you are interested? But I don't know how much that will help you unless you get a better secondary clutch.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha