lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-16-2015, 06:27 PM   #1
sebarker75
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Having problems with my 2000 electric golf cart shuttle over heating

Hi, Im having problems with my wire from the controller to the f & r switch getting hot. I have a 2000 ezgo electric shuttle. I put a jakes long travel kit on the front and built the back. I put 23" tires with black 5 lug rims. I upgraded the controller to a 500 amp Curtis and a 36volt 5 or 6 horse power motor. I put a heavy duty f & r switch and selinoid from buggies unlimited. I thought upgrading would solve the problem. but it hasn't. im frustrated with there tech department. it like they are sending me in circles. any help would be appreciated. thanks. im at the bottom of my barrel. lol
sebarker75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-16-2015, 07:45 PM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Having problems with my 2000 electric golf cart shuttle over heating

BU is a bad word around here.

Heat is a sign of excess resistance, either in the cables or the FNR itself. Check the condition of the cables going to the FNR, and since they may be 15 years old, think about replacing them all. You won't be sorry. Rather than Buggies Unlimited, buy your cables from Carts Unlimited, a site sponsor.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:23 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Having problems with my 2000 electric golf cart shuttle over heating

Yep, stock 6ga cables should be upgraded to 4ga, or even better 2ga. All the large cables on the whole cart, not just the ones at the batteries (the whole system is only as good as the worst cable).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:35 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

And - upgrade the F&R switch with my HD switch not Nivel (BU) hd switch.
So Bigger cables and a truly HD F&R should end your troubles...
You have another possibly better option for a little more $.
Change to a 400a Reversing Contactor and 2g cables throughout. One of the benefits of the rev. contactor is being able to locate the device in the battery bay which keeps the cables short and only the low amp switch wires run up to the drivers touch.

I also have a 952 shuttle on 500a with 10 hp D&D torque motor.They are a gas

Welcome to the real golf cart forum
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:39 PM   #5
sebarker75
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I put 4 gauge wire on everything when I upgrade the motor and controller
I was wondering if I needed to step it up to 2 gauge.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:45 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebarker75 View Post
I put 4 gauge wire on everything when I upgrade the motor and controller
I was wondering if I needed to step it up to 2 gauge.
Several factors make the 4g a marginal fit. There are a few features that make the cart draw more amperage than I would like with 4g. The least of the problems are not the over 8ft long F&R cable runs = loss through resistance.
But when you add up
Aftermarket motor
500a control
big tires
shuttle cart
It needs 2g cable. If the F&R is stock it could be the culprit right now.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:46 PM   #7
sebarker75
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I had heard Scotty that you had a push button f and r switch that I could upgrade to
That would eliminate the heat factor out of the question
Old 07-16-2015, 08:51 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebarker75 View Post
I had heard Scotty that you had a push button f and r switch that I could upgrade to
That would eliminate the heat factor out of the question
Yes. Like I said not only eliminate the 1940s style rotary copper lug switch. But replace it with electromagnetic coils driving larger silver contacts. Add this can shorten the F&R cables by 50% and you got a win win situation. Is this cart running cart on 48 or 36v?
I have several customers who burnt up more than one Nivel F&R before they switched to my F&R or this reversing contactor and solved their heat problems.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:00 PM   #9
sebarker75
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

its a 48 volt system and a 36 volt 5 horsepower motor.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:16 PM   #10
sebarker75
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Is it ok to have 36volt selinoid and 36 volt motor on this cart. BU suggested this to me. I don't know the difference. I bought the cart about a year ago and it had a 2.5 horsepower 36 volt motor on it. BU said its ok to run 36 volt motor on a 48 volt system.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO