lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-21-2015, 03:26 AM   #11
Kencart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Solenoid clicks but motor does not engage

I still have not been able to resolve the issue with my cart.. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks
Kencart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-21-2015, 03:29 AM   #12
Kencart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Old 12-21-2015, 03:31 AM   #13
Kencart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Still have not been able to get my cart going.. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them. Thanks
Old 12-21-2015, 09:17 AM   #14
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I would GUESS you have a bad controller. The resistor getting hot without the solenoid energized indicates one of the wires connected to the downside of the big solenoid post has current flowing in it and that is where the trouble is suspect. Disconnect both wires and reconnect them one at a time to see which one gets the resistor hot. Wherever that wire goes is what is drawing the current.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:44 AM   #15
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I reviewed the thread, here is what I read.
You bought a running cart.
Drove it home.
Installed new batteries
No go.
Is that correct?

If yes, and assuming you have the batteries installed and connected correctly. If the old batteries were very weak, you could have damaged the control by driving it on very low voltage causing the motor to draw excess amperage to make up for the lack of voltage. Thereby causing the controller to heat up resulting in external damage. Common problem with the OEM control

This is a common problem with the DCS design and the reason it was replaced by the PDS system later.
Currently Alltrax offers 2 controllers with advanced technology for this cart. One is the DCX control and newest is the XCT model.

Visit my website to see pricing and availability
Both models have low voltage cut-off which prevents this type of damage.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 12:54 PM   #16
Kencart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Wanted to say thank you for the info provided on this forum, it really helped me come to the resolution. It ended up being the ITS switch.. as I had meantioned previously in the thread, I was getting a 5v reading on the white wire (or #1 wire) while the trouble shooting guide indicated I should be .05v. I figured I would purchase a new switch to try before buying a new controller... Installed the new switch and am good to go! (Was actually surprised when the wheels started spinning (:

If you had read through the entire thread you may have noticed that the #10 wire (red/yellow) flashes.. I have not tested this due to the fact that the cart runs fine without this wire connected and I fear that if I test this that it may blow the IST switch.. Not sure about this so if anyone knows the purpose of the #10 wire it may be helpful to know but for now I have completely removed this wire from the system and do not see any issues..

Thanks again for the help.

Ken
Old 12-28-2015, 01:06 PM   #17
mardad
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for posting the resolution. Will help many down the road.
mardad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 02:31 PM   #18
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

That wire on the #10 pin is a power feed from the Run/Tow switch. If it is running without that hooked up there are issues with that controller. Plan to replace it in the future..
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 08:07 AM   #19
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I don't understand how the ITS switch replacement fixes the problem when the solenoid was energizing when you pressed the pedal..
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 05:32 PM   #20
Kencart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I would have to agree. I am not sure why replacing the ITS switch got my cart running. This was some of my confusion when trouble shooting... The fact that power was full when pressing the peddal. I have a decent understanding of electrical and honestly was pretty confused. But know enough to follow troubleshooting directions and saw the discrepancy in the voltage coming out of the ITS switch (5v instead of the correct .05v-1.4v) so I figured $40 for a new switch would be worth a try before purchasing a new controller.

I assume that the controller somehow provides continuity or ground via the F1and F2 wires and the controller was not sending that signal because it was receiving incorrect voltage and therefore not activating.

Being that my cart is a DCS and there is no wire coming out of the end of the motor, I was a bit confused as to how the negative was introduced to allow for current to flow and engage the motor. I assume that this is the job of the F1 and F2 wires but they also show power when the pedal is pressed instead of negative.. I am guessing ground just comes from the motor being mounted to the cart? This is really still a mystery to me, but again I am new to DC power. Used to AC.

One last question.. I was told that because my cart is a DCS system it would not have power control.. Meaning all or nothing like a light switch vs a dimmer switch but I was happy to findthat it does have speed control.. so I assume I had been given some mis information (not from this forum)

Anyways, I hope this helps.. I am just glad the cart is running (:

Thanks again for the help.

Ken

Tags
1995 ez-go electric, controller, soleniod
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO