lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-01-2016, 05:18 PM   #1
boatcrazy67
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default need resistor?

91 marathon series motor. I followed this test procedure and the difference between solenoid posts is more than 3volts which indicates the resistor is faultybut I cannot read the part number. Does anyone know the part number and where I can find it? Thanks
__________________________________________________ _____

Testing of the EZGO ELECTRONIC SPEED CONTROL - SERIES & PDS
(NON DCS)
ALWAYS DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE BEFORE REMOVING CONTROLLER COVER. RE-CONNECT CABLE AFTER COVER IS REMOVED.
These test are to be conducted after making sure all wires and connections are
PLACE THE REAR OF THE CART SECURELY ON BLOCKS OR JACK STANDS FOR SAFETY
Connect (-) probe of meter on Battery Pack Negative (-) post. (This probe will on the post for the rest of the testing procedures) Connect (+) probe to the Battery Pack Positive (+) battery post. (This reading is the Battery Voltage and the amount of POWER TO THE CONTROLLER -
NOW, Key switch ON, gear selector in FORWARD, Place the (+) probe on the battery side of the solenoid's large post (If the reading is below battery voltage, check all wiring and terminals).
Place the (+) probe to the controller side of the solenoid's large post. The reading should be 0.1 to 3 volts less than battery voltage. If the reading is more than 3 volts less the battery voltage, the resistor is faulty. If the voltage is the same as the battery voltage, replace the solenoid.
boatcrazy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-02-2016, 09:18 PM   #2
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: need resistor?

The resistor may be OK. Something may be drawing current causing the voltage drop. That is a poor way to determine if a resistor is bad. Take one end of it loose and check the resistance with meter. I am not sure what it should be but I would guess the range 200-500 ohms. That resistor keeps the controller charged when the solenoid is not energized to prevent a large current when the solenoid energizes. Those instructions in the last sentences are confusing. What is wrong with the cart? Is it not running?
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:30 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I have also seen controllers with higher than normal voltage drop across the resistor, i suspect those were cases of a failing (but not exploded) capacitor in the controller. If the voltage is way lower, i suspect the controller is bad. If its just a little out of spec, the controller may still function. I have had to add a second precharge to a cart or 2, to limp it along for a while longer for "penny-pinching" customers (like apartment complexes). Some may say that is the wrong thing to do, because X controller manufacturer said a "X value" resistor is the only way, and to them i would say "I agree".
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 02:04 PM   #4
boatcrazy67
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks guys for both replies. The issue is loss of power up any incline and !ack of torque. Seems OK on flat or down hill. I have another open thread on this issue. I noticed there is automitive 4awg cable running from the FNR switch to the solenoid with crimped end. Could that cause the issues I'm having?
I think the resistor ohm is around 570.

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-03-2016, 03:27 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

No, the resistor is not causing the problems you are having.

All the resistor connect across the solenoid's large terminals does is keep the filter capacitors in the controller charged so the solenoid's contacts don't arc as much when they close.

The cart will run with or without a pre-charge resistor. However, it should be about 250Ω (or so) for a 36V cart and if the one you are using is 570Ω, that may account for the voltage drop being higher than specified.

Loss of power (torque) on hills is often battery or cable related.

Driving up a hill:
1. What does the voltage as measured between the battery pack's main + and main - drop to?
2. What does the voltage between the controller's B+ and B- terminals drop to.

If the voltages measures in 1 & 2 above are different, you have issues in the high current cables, connections and contacts.

If any of the high current cables, connections or contacts are getting more then warm going up a hill, they need to be fixed/replaced.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 03:43 PM   #6
boatcrazy67
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Johnny B. I'll take the readings you suggested and report back with the results. Appreciate the help.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:11 AM   #7
boatcrazy67
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I've done some additional testing outside the resister and will start a new thread that contains all the information I have. Thanks.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO