lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-04-2016, 10:36 PM   #1
Helirich
Gone Wild

Default Charger voltage

I got a "on board" charger. I just got the cart converted to 48V. I plugged in the charger and left it over night. When I came out in the morning, the batteries were warm and I could hear bubbling. I tested the pack with the voltmeter and got 56 volts! I know the batteries charge up more than 48, but 56 sounds high. Should I be worried?

Edit, to clarify, the pack measured with the charger still on.
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-04-2016, 10:52 PM   #2
fishsticker
Gone Wild

Default Re: Charger voltage

My old 48V charger would hit 58 volts. I think that peak voltage of 56 is ok.
fishsticker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:41 AM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

58v is perfectly normal. On trojan & its clones, they are fine until they get into the 60+v territory. 56v is still not quite done yet.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 01:00 PM   #4
Helirich
Gone Wild

I don't know if that was peak since it was still charging. The batteries are old (all most shot) So that may be a factor. I don't know what the amp rate is on this charger, but I think none of the "on board" chargers are very high.

Thanks for the response. At least it gives me an idea.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:58 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The old ferroresonant transformer chargers shut off at about 2.5VPC (Volts per Cell), which is 60.0V for a 48V battery pack, and modern chargers that use dV/dT (change in Voltage over change in Time) technology to determine when the batteries are fully charged, may climb a bit higher than that.

Attached is a recommended charge profile for Trojan batteries and the max voltage is 2.79VPC, which is 66.96V for a 48V pack (24 x 2V cells).

If your charge is working right, it should reach anywhere from about about 59 to about 66V before it shuts off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Charge curve.JPG (33.2 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 05:45 PM   #6
Helirich
Gone Wild

I just swapped in some good batteries and started the charger. So I will see what it does now.
Old 03-07-2016, 02:41 PM   #7
Helirich
Gone Wild

Well it charged up the pack and then shut off. It has some LEDs on it that show you what's happening. It has about 5 different charge rates and then a green light that I assume means it is fully charged. There's no real printing on it saying that, but it worked its way up the scale and back down and then the green. When I measured it with the green, it was about 52V.

Tags
on board charger
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO