lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-10-2016, 09:52 AM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1987 Resistor Cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemsoncartguy View Post
Oh ok. I didn't want people to think all boat batteries were not true deep cycle batteries.

That said it did not cross my mind to put boat batteries in a cart. Logic would tell you it would work..same voltage. But just sheer battery mass is less so you can't posibly store as much energy in them. But you also get out of it cheaper too .

And I didn't want them to think all marine batteries were true deep cycle, basically the other side of the same coin.

I did make a misstatement, you can get 12V deep cycle marine batteries (and other types) with storage capacities greater than 150AH. However getting them under the seat of a golf cart would be a challenge.

FWIW: One forum member has a Cushman Titan (or something similar), which has oodles of space in the battery compartment and is using three industrial 12V deep cycle batteries, each weighing more than he does.
IIRC: The huge batteries were used and he got them for next to nothing, so it is working out well for him.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-10-2016, 10:18 AM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
What about the 12V batteries they put in 48V carts? Would seem like you could use them in a 36V. Of course the range would suck.
It is true that some of the newer cart that are 48V from the factory use 4x12V battery packs, but it is also true that there are aftermarket battery frames to convert them to 6x8V battery packs. If there wasn't a significant need, the retrofit battery frames probably wouldn't exist.

Attached is a comparison of 48V battery packs using various Trojan batteries. The higher the kWh of storage, the greater the range and battery lifespan.

Also attached is a comparison of various 36V battery packs using Trojan batteries.
Ironically, if you use two 3x12V 36V packs connected in parallel, you can get more kWh than with a 6x6V battery pack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 48V kWh - Various Trojan Batteries-1.JPG (60.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 36V pack comparison.JPG (43.0 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:53 AM   #13
coppolac
Not Yet Wild

The resistor burned up on my cart causing quite a scared for grand kids. Should I just buy a new resistor and repair burned cables or can I upgrade to new electronic components and keep at 36 volts?
coppolac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:04 AM   #14
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppolac View Post
The resistor burned up on my cart causing quite a scared for grand kids. Should I just buy a new resistor and repair burned cables or can I upgrade to new electronic components and keep at 36 volts?
We offer solid state conversion kits for these carts. Now offering these kits with Alltrax SR controls which offer the add-on shift on the fly speed control for reducing kiddie speed. This conversion can run on 36 or 48v. So use the existing 36v batteries now and boost performance with 48v batteries when the current set need replacement. Read more about why converting to solid state is a good idea > http://www.cartsunlimited.net/why-co...-drive---.html
And go here for pkg options or contact me at the website. http://www.cartsunlimited.net/conversion-kits.html
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, resistor
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO