lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-10-2016, 11:49 AM   #1
lugster
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Upgrading voltage 36 to 42v and solenoid

So I need to buy batteries soon, after prev discussions and reading many posts, I am eventually going to convert from 36 to 42v. Tough sell to the wife to buy all new batts (will also replace cables) and then have to buy a DPI charger (factory charger works well). I believe the solenoid is original (marked W-R/RBM 70-120224 Coil 36VDC Cont). So my 2 options are buy 6 (or 7 batts now) and keep the same solenoid (and household harmony) for another season and order 2 cables, new solenoid and DPI next spring (plus voltage reducer, won't have room for 12v batt), or bite the bullet and do it all now, I don't think I can upgrade the solenoid now and use it for 42V next season (?).
97 36V DCS, used on flat land and hilly roads (50/50), alltrax 400a DCX (200, stock height wheels/tires, will put a back seat on as well (another cost option dilemma for this year or next).
Batts showed like 37.4 and around 6.25 to 6.33 each after charge and 12 hour rest (going on 10th season!. Replacing 185 AH with 230 AH. Thanks for any input!!
lugster is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-10-2016, 12:05 PM   #2
lugster
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Upgrading voltage 36 to 42v and solenoid

Typical days are short quick runs spaced throughout the day up and down the hill, no long distance stuff what so ever. Thanks!
lugster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:11 PM   #3
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

A solenoid is available for 36-48v. I have one. Got it here:http://www.cartsunlimited.net/solenoids.html

Used it at 36v for ~year and 48v now. (2 years)
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:52 PM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I guess if it were me I would try to upgrade to 48V since you need a new charger anyway and it sounds like you already have a controller that can do 48V. If not, get a charger that can do 42 or 48V. Since you have to invest in batteries, going with 6 x 8V might be smarter than going with 7 x 6V.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:55 PM   #5
crash test dummy

Old 04-11-2016, 07:25 PM   #6
timmyjane
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
x2, Thats the route I went. JohnnieB went 42 but I don't see why you wouldn't just go 48v.

I did talk to Robby @ Plum Quick and he said that the Advanced motor was fine on 48v but the GE motor, not so much. I guess that could be something to consider.
timmyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO