lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-21-2016, 10:20 AM   #1
wheelnsniper
Getting Wild

Default recommended motor or at least starting point

Dang these carts are an upgrade addiction. Just got the Rangers put in yesterday and now I wanna put in a motor. Haha. Well save you from looming at signature I have 2012 txt 48. 3" lift not monsters but bigger tires. Get you details when home if needed. Also an XCT 400 controller. I am paralyzed and due to stability high speeds are out and I Mainly crawl around property trails creak bed crossings and such.. I would still like current max whatever it is or close too but lots more torque. I haven't called D&D yet. Would like to get yalls reccomendations first. Thanks

PS I love this site but yall might get a dirty letter from my wife after all these upgrades. Lol
wheelnsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-21-2016, 10:24 AM   #2
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: recommended motor or at least starting point

Plum Quick. They can rewind your motor. There here in my home state so I guess I like that too. I haven't bought from them but they would be my first choice...not like I'm an expert though.
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:49 AM   #3
wheelnsniper
Getting Wild

I will look them up. My biggest concern on any of this is reliability. I obviously can just walk back home. If I were to upgrade motor. What else would need to be upgraded along with?? Thank you
Old 05-21-2016, 10:55 AM   #4
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

The rewound motor is like $225. There a site sponsor here. You will need a bigger controller and wires and possibly F and R selector?

Edit...see you have a controller already.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:47 AM   #5
skipsmith521
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I just purchased a motor from EMP (electrical motor products). They were fantastic in building a motor to exactly what I wanted. The price was very reasonable and you get exactly what you want out of a motor.

I gave them the particulars about my cart and they ask some questions in where you will be driving and what you want it to do. They will even lookup your area on a terrain map.

They can give you an option to switch on the fly between torque and speed....i did not go this direction, but they have all kinds of options.

Nice people....

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
skipsmith521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 12:17 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

It sounds like you have an Alltrax XCT-48400-TXT-48 controller, which is user programmable, so you can limit the motor's RPM to give you a top speed you are comfortable with even though the combination of tire height, differential gear ratio, motor and pack voltage may be capable of propelling the cart faster.

The taller than stock (18") tire height will reduce the amount of the motor's torque that reaches the ground as follows:
19" = 5.3% loss.
20" = 10.0% loss.
21" = 14.3% loss.
22" = 18.2% loss.
23" = 21.7% loss.
24" = 25.0% loss.

Going from the stock (250A) controller to a 400A controller increases the torque considerably, but mostly on the low end of the motor's Torque-Speed curve so you need a motor that will produce higher torque throughout its RPM spectrum at 48V.

It depends on what your actual tire height is and what your actual desired top speed is, but the D&D motor I use (ES-76-51) is more or less a standard speed motor with 30% more torque throughout its RPM spectrum. If you want more torque, the ES-63-49 has about 40% more torque, but won't reach quite as high of RPM as the ES-76-51 at 48V.

Talk to Scotty as well as talking to D&D and they will help you sift through all the mind numbing motor specs to figure out what is best suited for your needs and desires.

The questions they will ask will include:
What is the tire height?
What type terrain?
What is the battery pack voltage?
What is the desired top speed? (Remember the XCT controller can RPM limit the motor to a lower top speed.)

-----------
And as Skip suggests, talk to EMP.

Last edited by JohnnieB; 05-21-2016 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: added comments
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 03:03 PM   #7
wheelnsniper
Getting Wild

Thanks all
Old 05-21-2016, 04:49 PM   #8
skipsmith521
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

With my EMP motor, I had requested 23mph. Chuck at EMP said he would target 24mph with weight allowance.

Installed the motor with XCT400 and field map he sent with turbo turned off. He said this would get you to your desired speed and he was right on.

He also said I could turn on turbo for additional mph if I was not at the 23mph that I wanted.

I have left turbo off and may turn the max throttle down a little because of my teenage kids.

EMP gave me exactly what I was wanting and was very happy.

As Johnnieb explained the motor stuff was just mind numbing and EMP simplified it for me.

I also got high speed banding, but don't completely understand how it works. EMP said I did not really need it, but said it would help with over sped.

The other option I did not do was they can put some sort of temperature sensor on the motor that has wire leads that you can run to a buzzer or light...to help monitor your motor temperature. Sounded cool...

skipsmith521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 05:23 PM   #9
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I know options will change the price but what is te starting point on these EMP motors. About what did your actual motors cost...those of you with EMP?
Old 05-21-2016, 05:24 PM   #10
wheelnsniper
Getting Wild

Sounds awesome. I will give them a shout as well. Thank you

Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipsmith521 View Post
With my EMP motor, I had requested 23mph. Chuck at EMP said he would target 24mph with weight allowance.

Installed the motor with XCT400 and field map he sent with turbo turned off. He said this would get you to your desired speed and he was right on.

He also said I could turn on turbo for additional mph if I was not at the 23mph that I wanted.

I have left turbo off and may turn the max throttle down a little because of my teenage kids.

EMP gave me exactly what I was wanting and was very happy.

As Johnnieb explained the motor stuff was just mind numbing and EMP simplified it for me.

I also got high speed banding, but don't completely understand how it works. EMP said I did not really need it, but said it would help with over sped.

The other option I did not do was they can put some sort of temperature sensor on the motor that has wire leads that you can run to a buzzer or light...to help monitor your motor temperature. Sounded cool...

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO