lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-30-2016, 10:48 AM   #1
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Time for a new motor.

If anyone was curious about going too slow in a heavy lifted PDS will do to a motor well here are some pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (221.5 KB, 0 views)
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-30-2016, 10:57 AM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Time for a new motor.

And another

Looking for suggestions for a new one.

Here is what I have to work with and yes I know it should have been a series cart but it's what I have.

DCX500 with HD solenoid, heavy 6 passenger limo cart, lifted with 22 inch tires, 8 T145 Trojan batteries, 8 speakers with 2 subs plus box and extra battery for the stereo. Running 48 volts. Wants to use it for parades and going slow.

Suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (284.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-30-2016, 11:27 AM   #3
Helirich
Gone Wild

I think some of the motor manufactores will make you a custom motor for your style of driving. (EMP, PQ and others.) I would give em a call. The other option would be to get lower gears and just run a off the shelf "torque" motor.

How long did it take to do that? Is that a stock EZGO motor? Was it a 48V motor? If not, how long after conversion to 48?
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:35 AM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

It was a Bandit motor from PQ that was being asked to do more than it should have. This failure was caused by operator error not because of the product. It was running 48 volts and had been in there probably about a year. I plan on making some phone calls first of the week but thought I would just ask here for guidance. Would love to find a vented regen motor but haven't seen any.

Well just saw where PQ's Executioner can be vented.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:46 AM   #5
Helirich
Gone Wild

My motor has a cover that snaps on over the brushes. If I would leave it off, I bet it would shed more heat. I'm afraid it would get mud in it. But in your case, it might help. I'll bet gears would make the most differnce though.

Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 12:43 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

A PQ Bandit version of a 36V PDS motor, it has roughly the same heat dissipation capabilities as a stock PDS motor since it is housed in a stock 36V PDS motor case.

A 6 passenger limo with a 36v PDS drive (Now upgraded too 48V) didn't jump out at me at first glance while going through my stash, so could you describe it better if it is a home-brew of some type or give the year and model if a factory built chassis. (I'm trying to find the differential gear ratio, some Shuttles had 14.7:1, which would help a bit when going slow with 22" tall tires)

My guess is that parade speed is about 3.5 MPH and if you have 12.44:1 gears, you motor only turns at 665 RPM at 3.5 MPH if your tire are truly 22" tall.
With 14.7:1 gears it would be 786 RPM, which is better, but still a mighty slow sustained RPM for either a sepex or a series motor.

I understand that 14.96:1 (gears from a Workhorse) is the numerically highest gears you can install in a stock TXT differential, which only ups the motor to 798 RPM with 22" tires.

However, EMP sells (or at least, used to sell) a 2-speed differential with 20:1 and 10:1 user selectable gears. The 20:1 gears would up the motor to 1070 RPM, which would reduce the heating considerably. (The lower the RPM , the more amps the motor is capable of drawing and the more amps it draws, the hotter it gets.)

Going to shorter tires would help also.

--------------

As for the motor, look for one with the longest of a case that will fit is the space available. That will have better heat dissipation capabilities than a stock length case. Vented with fan will run cooler still and a finned housing will help also.

Talk to D&D, they might have some answers for your needs.

---------

Talk to Alltrax, they may have a field map for a DCX running at low RPM.

Also, consider upgrading to a XCT controller, it is far more versatile than a DCX and has user selectable performance modes.

-------------------
Good luck finding what you need.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 11:37 AM   #7
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Thanks for the info jb. This was a stock PDS cart that was stretched with an ezgo kit but probably has the stock 12.44 gears. Controller is only a year old so don't think he would want to go that route. Thought about switching it to a series cart but that would get expensive quick. I plan on making some phone calls see what options I have.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:46 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Show me I'm wrong but, I don't think PQ or D&D have a good track record with lifted Sepex limousine cart motors.
A workhorse gear set (15.1:1) would help, so would smaller tires (which you probably do not want to do).
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 12:30 PM   #9
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

This whole thing screams it should be a series cart but figured switching to that would end up pushing $1500 after all was said and done new controller, new motor, hd reversing contactor and a bunch of wiring. We will see.
Old 07-31-2016, 01:28 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
This whole thing screams it should be a series cart but figured switching to that would end up pushing $1500 after all was said and done new controller, new motor, hd reversing contactor and a bunch of wiring. We will see.
$1235 gets a complete drive system.
Not much to wire it yourself. Your key and throttle device stay the same and technically you could leave your PDS rocker switch and use it and the wires to switch the SW202.
Looks like a fun project

SR48500/400 sol $536
Admiral B1 $450
SW2020 kit $249
Homemade cable set
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO