lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-28-2016, 08:31 AM   #1
Ribber
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default LED

I'm looking at Nilight 18W LED lights on Amazon that are 12v, but specs say operating voltage is 9-30v. Will they work if I wire to 2 of my 8v batteries with a switch & fuse?
I do understand this could get the 2 batteries out of sync with others, but these will only see very occasional use, like driving back to hunting camp after the evening hunt (5 minutes). I do not intend to add any additional accessories to this cart, so hard for me to justify the $$ for a reducer.
Ribber is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-28-2016, 08:41 AM   #2
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: LED

Yes you can do just that... Even though I've git a 48/12 reducer on my cart I ended up leaving the light kit wired up to 16 volts as I just don't use the cart enough at light to warrant the rewiring job required. I've even taken the fuse out of the reducer as while I thought that I just had to have one on the cart, it too just don't not get used either.
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:30 PM   #3
Ribber
Getting Wild
Club Car

Wired the light bar up and it works, but the switch has a on/off indicator light. When not in use, the red 'off' light on the switch is lit up. Will this draw current?
The cart could see extended down time and I don't want to get those 2 batteries out of sync with the others. I do not have a reducer, the LED is wired to 2 batteries.
[2002 CC 48V (6) 8V batteries]
Old 09-05-2016, 08:38 PM   #4
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

You should be able to disable that OFF light... Did the switch require more than 2 wires such as a ground or negative? Try disconnecting that 3rd wire.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:06 PM   #5
Ribber
Getting Wild
Club Car

There is a negative that I connected to negative battery post. I have to, right? I'll have to look again tomorrow. The wiring harness has a relay, also.

I also noticed the other night that the low battery warning light is coming on sporadically (unrelated to LED harness). Pack is not low (51V). I don't want any draw when not in use.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:23 PM   #6
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Not for the switch to function, the neg wire from the switch is only to make the status ON/OFF light work in the switch...

You could have confused your OBC fooling around under the seat recently. Try disconnecting your main pack negative for 15 minutes, reconnect and plug in your charger over night
Old 09-05-2016, 10:05 PM   #7
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

Since light bar's use is sporadic, consider moving the wire taps to a different pair of batteries after each use. After one night's use move leads from pair "A" to pair "B", and after the next night's use move to pair "C". Add an equalizing charge now and then and the imbalance of the pack would be minimal.

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:42 AM   #8
Ribber
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
Not for the switch to function, the neg wire from the switch is only to make the status ON/OFF light work in the switch...

You could have confused your OBC fooling around under the seat recently. Try disconnecting your main pack negative for 15 minutes, reconnect and plug in your charger over night
There wasn't a third wire, only a black & red.
It was the harness that was meant for that light on Amazon. It has a 40amp relay also and the harness was probably meant for an automobile. I'll have to look again when I get home and take a pic. I just stuck it on last night to see if the LED would function.
If I had made up the wires myself, I would have just a switch and fuse.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:25 PM   #9
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribber View Post
There wasn't a third wire, only a black & red.
It was the harness that was meant for that light on Amazon. It has a 40amp relay also and the harness was probably meant for an automobile. I'll have to look again when I get home and take a pic. I just stuck it on last night to see if the LED would function.
If I had made up the wires myself, I would have just a switch and fuse.
That LED LIght is barely drawing 1 amp it really does not even need a relay if you used a simple SPST toggle switch rated at 5 amps or so....
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car