lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-28-2016, 03:27 PM   #1
Jeffreynmandy
Gone Wild

Default Loud noise and clicking at full speed on new high speed motor.

I have a modified 95 ezgo. Here is a list of the upgrades.

48v Trojan batteries
2awg cables throughout
Alltrax 600 amp controller.
Beefed up f/r buss bars.
High speed motor.

I had a 2 speed emp motor in the build to begin with. That motor eventually burned up, so I replaced it with a new high speed motor from emp.

The thing flys! It runs around 35mph on flat ground with stock gears. Now on to the problem.

When I hit full speed or when the pedal gets to the floor/full throttle it starts making a clicking noise in the motor or rear end. Like a card flicking in a bicycle spoke. It started about a week or so after installing the new motor. I also pulled the motor to inspect it. All I saw was smut and black residue inside the armature area. The cart still runs fine, but makes the loud noise at full throttle.

Is it likely the new motor, or is the high speeds wearing something in the rear end out? Should I drive it or park it?

Any help is appreciated, I can't get in contact with emp. I've called several times in the last month, and also emailed pics and a sound clip. I haven't gotten any responses.
Jeffreynmandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-28-2016, 05:10 PM   #2
bird6246
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Loud noise and clicking at full speed on new high speed motor.

First..bench test the motor and see if you still hear the clicking noise, if no then it most likely is a bearing in the rear, starts to make noise when it reaches a certain RPM.
bird6246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 05:42 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird6246 View Post
First..bench test the motor and see if you still hear the clicking noise, if no then it most likely is a bearing in the rear, starts to make noise when it reaches a certain RPM.
You can't bench test a golf cart motor because only one end of the motor is supported. Attempts to run a golf cart motor out of the differential will result in severe damage and/or injury.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 01:23 AM   #4
Jeffreynmandy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
You can't bench test a golf cart motor because only one end of the motor is supported. Attempts to run a golf cart motor out of the differential will result in severe damage and/or injury.

If you had to guess would you think it's the motor or rear end? Also what are some upgrades I could do to the rear end to handle the better handle the higher speeds?
Old 09-29-2016, 11:34 PM   #5
chewy65
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Are you sure it is not just gear noise when the load lightens up?
Did you install the rubber bumper inside motor where the input shaft from the rear end mates up?
chewy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:10 AM   #6
Jeffreynmandy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy65 View Post
Are you sure it is not just gear noise when the load lightens up?
Did you install the rubber bumper inside motor where the input shaft from the rear end mates up?
I'm not sure. I drove it yesterday, for a few miles and it doesn't do it at all unless I hit full throttle.

It's kinda hard to replicate it, because where I ride it's only safe to go up to 25mph. I can easily cruise at 20mph with half throttle.

If I'm on level ground and put the pedal to the floor it gets up to 35mph and is pretty unsafe. That's the only time you can hear the whining and clicking noise.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:24 AM   #7
Jeffreynmandy
Gone Wild

Here is a pic of the motor, does this look correct? And why would they be so much black residue?

Old 10-01-2016, 01:41 PM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Blow the dust out with compressed air (and protect yourself from breathing the dust). Having a look at the brush end would be good too.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO