lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-03-2016, 12:20 AM   #11
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Downside of an RXV vs a PDS?

The Rxv/2five throttle is closer to an "absolute throttle" than any golf cart in the past. Takes a little getting used to, then you love it...
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-03-2016, 12:23 AM   #12
cgtech

Yamaha

Dang, I think we just did a Thread Hijack, sorry LBB if this info wasn't helpful to you.
Old 12-03-2016, 12:38 AM   #13
FluxCapacitor
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

LOL. Back on topic then!

As pointed out by Kernal the automatic parking brake and coast down feature of RXV carts is neat and particularly nice on hills. I read somewhere that some hilly golf courses insist on RXV fleets specifically for the added safety of the automatic parking brake. All vehicles should have that feature user selectable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
Parking brake is on the motor. Electrically operated but mechanical otherwise. Operates automatically when cart stops. You just step off the cart and do whatever. To go again just step on the gas. It will spoil you.
I'm so "spoiled" by this automatic parking brake feature that the other day I almost stepped out of my SUV while the engine was on and the trans was in Drive! Kind of freaked me out. Smart people probably won't make that mistake.
FluxCapacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 12:42 AM   #14
cgtech

Yamaha

LOL, be careful out there!
Old 12-03-2016, 12:43 AM   #15
LBB
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
PDS is marketing speak for "precision drive system". Means a TXT cart with a sepex motor. TXT is the cart model. RXV is a cart model.

A 2008 TXT with PDS is a 36v cart. It's speed is restricted by the controller. It can...
What an incredible comparison, even filled with first-hand experience. Really appreciate that. Exactly what I was looking for...

TXT at 36v: top speed of 17MPH on level pavement. 12MPH up test hill.(17.5" tires)
TXT at 48v: top speed of 22MPH on level pavement. 16MPH up test hill.
RXV: top speed of 22MPH on level pavement. 20-21 up test hill. (20" tires)

Love the comparisons. Question: Are the three above with a chip (or computer speed adjusted)? Did you put a new controller on any, or are they all stock?

Driving impressions of the RXV when compared to my 48v TXT: Acceleration off the line is very soft but once rolling power comes on like a turbo. " Seat of the pants" it feels very powerful. Doesn't slow much if at all on inclines.

This part did indeed catch my attention, as fast acceleration is just as important/fun as a decent top speed. You did later add this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
I want to add this about RXV acceleration, it is adjustable in both models (plus 2five). In 2012 & prior models it's limited to "low", "medium", "high" adjustments. But in newer "Curtis" models, it's fully adjustable to dump full power in as little as .1 second if you set it that way. The upgraded 350 amp controller in an Rxv can be tuned to run with some pretty big dogs. It ran within a car length of a Big series motor cart I also built (Spm600 series YDRE). I'm sure the 16.99 gears in the Rxv helped it "a little". If you have a "curtis" Rxv and want to crank the ACCELERATION, that's a secret I will share with anyone who wants to know. (be warned, it will jump right into the wall of your garage if you are not careful & mash the pedal to the floor).
This is interesting. So with your first hand experience of your RXV being soft on acceleration, did you not have it adjusted? Just curious as to how that might affect it.

Anyone else have experience with RXV acceleration?

Maybe the biggest issue though, is that the RXV that I'm looking at is a 2009. That puts it before the 2012 you recommend.

I think a 2012 and up RXV is going to cost me $3k plus, which is probably out of my price range pre-mod. I started at $1500 and have slowly worked up to above $2k.

The cost you quote of taking the 36v TXT to a 48v puts things in perspective though. I'd probably never take a 36v to 48v, so just buying a 48v now would probably be the only shot at it. 90% of my driving will be on a flat street, so no hills.
LBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 05:20 AM   #16
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

To be clear on the chip thing. The chip in reality is a plug that you change out in the controller. This is only available on TXT carts with the PDS drive system. All of these carts left the factory as 36v carts. I'm pretty sure 2009 was the last year of these but I could be wrong about that. 2010 and up require a hand held device, electronic key or both to reduce restrictions imposed by the controller. All RXV's are like this. Even after this adjustment the controller still restricts the cart because legally they can't exceed 20MPH so the factory can't condone or support efforts to do this. The carts, however are powerful enough to exceed this performance barrier if the controller restrictions could be removed.
Basically two ways to do this. Trick the controller (larger tires, different gears, change the magnets in the speed sensor) or remove it altogether in favor of an after market high performance one.

As regards my comparison test. There are only 2 carts involved. I have a TXT that was originally 36v that I used for a number of years. I have accumulated lots of data on it's performance and range etc. It is not a PDS so not "chipable". About 3 years ago I converted it to 48v. The controller was changed to accept 48v but it is the same 400amp rating as the original one.
So in my comparison test I used data from when the cart was 36v and what it will do now at 48v and compared all that to my RXV. The RXV is stock except for the tires.

As regards the acceleration setting on the RXV. I was with the tech when he made the adjustments. First he used the electronic key to unlock the "freedom mode" and the handheld to dial it up to the allowable 19.5. (this is also called "coastal" in modern EZGO marketing speak. He said the acceleration was not turned up and would I like him to do it. I said yes, so supposedly mine us at max. I suspect cgtech is more skilled with the handheld than my tech was so there could be more available. The motor is certainly up to it.
My RXV goes 22+MPH because it has 20" tires vs. the stock 18 inchers. This tricks the controller into thinking the cart is going slower than it actually is.

One last thing on the acceleration issue. I'm happy with the current soft start on the RXV. This cart and the TXT have rear seats and used by extended family including lots of kids/dogs. If not prepared, the TXT is capable of throwing adults or anything else off the back. The RXV is more forgiving about this.

Now what should you do? My opinion is this. Based on what you said, a late model 2010 or newer TXT48 would be the way to go. With the controller turned up it is no slouch even completely stock including a rear seat. The addition of 20" tires and nothing else puts you in the 22MPH class. Acceleration will suffer slightly with this. No lift required. If this is not enough than at the time of your choosing replace the speed controller with Alltrax XCT series. This removes the stock controller restrictions and it is programable with a laptop and free software. You will get increased torque (acceleration) and increased top speed.
Lots of info about it here:http://www.cartsunlimited.net/speed-...ion-info-.html and some more here: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-upgrades.html
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 07:02 AM   #17
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Sorry, I've been away for a few days.

When it comes to the RXV, the torque of an AC drive is hard to beat. This is one reason why more and more electric cars are going to AC drive. Efficiency is typically higher as well over a wider RPM range. As mentioned, it you adjust the 0-1/2 speed times too far, it can throw people off of the back seat if you floor the pedal. When I upgraded my 2012 RXV to the 350 Amp upgrade Curtis controller and 2 guage cables, I tested changes to the 0-1/2 speed times and I was so shocked at how hard it would launch that I put it back to stock! Even with the stock controller, it was scary off of the line when set to 1/2 second or less. I liked the default soft start setting better. I removed the 350 Amp controller and 2 guage cables. Taking that RXV back to the stock controller when I put it back together. Getting up to 25 MPH in 6 seconds is overkill!

FluxCapacitor: The 2Five does not have that 60% brake kick on of motor brake that the RXV has. The power loop to the motor brake through the brake switch does not exist on the 2Five. That is one of the differences in the wiring harness between them.

LBB: You would be better off with a Curtis controller equipped RXV than that 2009. Did you check out that seller in Augusta GA? They had a whole bunch of 2013 RXVs fresh off of lease for sale.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 12:01 PM   #18
FluxCapacitor
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Bob. Sorry to get off topic again but can you explain a little more what this means to a non tech guy like me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post

FluxCapacitor: The 2Five does not have that 60% brake kick on of motor brake that the RXV has. The power loop to the motor brake through the brake switch does not exist on the 2Five.
Bob
Also, the stock RXV/2Five "off line" acceleration is good. More "off the line" acceleration could be fun but could leave backseat passengers at risk of falling off...if they are not prepared.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:59 PM   #19
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluxCapacitor View Post
Thanks Bob. Sorry to get off topic again but can you explain a little more what this means to a non tech guy like me.

Also, the stock RXV/2Five "off line" acceleration is good. More "off the line" acceleration could be fun but could leave backseat passengers at risk of falling off...if they are not prepared.
It just means that your 2Five does not have a brake switch like the RXV has, so even if you stomp hard on the brake pedal at any speed, it will not grenade your motor brake. The 2Five has regen, but it also has full hydraulic brakes, like a car. Really the only way to grenade the motor brake on a 2Five is to turn off the key while driving down the road at speed. Don't try it to see what happens. Putting 2Five brakes on an RXV would be a really nice upgrade

The 2Five has nice performance, but due to the gear ratio difference the RXV has better off the line performance. Still, I think the 2Five gear ratio is better, if you like driving faster. You can get another 10 MPH with the 2Five without going too far overboard.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 05:18 PM   #20
FluxCapacitor
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
It just means that your 2Five does not have a brake switch like the RXV has, so even if you stomp hard on the brake pedal at any speed, it will not grenade your motor brake.
Thanks, very helpful, that's exactly what I was wondering about.

Quote:
You can get another 10 MPH with the 2Five without going too far overboard.
Whoa! 35 MPH would be almost scary in a 2Five where I drive it...or am I getting old!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO