lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-06-2017, 07:27 PM   #21
danman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Bad solenoid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
Had the controller been replaced? If it is the original controller from 1996, it would be very suprising to have lasted that long. There is no undervoltage shutdown protection on those old controllers and driving with low voltage tends to overheat a controller, increasing risk of failure.

You might want to check with scottyb at http://www.cartsunlimited.com and find a suitable Alltrax replacement controller.

The controller looks pretty new actually. I am new to electric carts, but all of the connections look much younger than 11 years.
danman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-06-2017, 09:40 PM   #22
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by danman View Post
The controller looks pretty new actually. I am new to electric carts, but all of the connections look much younger than 11 years.
When they are covered and protected from weather exposure, they can stay clean and new looking for a long time.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:02 PM   #23
danman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I had the controller tested, and it was faulty. I was told the solenoid driver was bad. I was instructed to check the solenoid and wiring going to the solenoid.

I had the controller repaired, and I want to put it back together and see if the solenoid needs replacing?

Anyone got any helpful input to keep me from screwing this up?
Old 02-03-2017, 08:03 AM   #24
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

IMO-you are better off in the long run to get an alltrax controller...the old one WILL fail again-probably sooner than later....if this cart is a long term keeper-and i assume it is-get a HD solenoid and alltrax controller from ScottyB and save the time and trouble of messing with unreliable old parts.....good luck and keep plugging away!
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:42 AM   #25
danman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutant View Post
IMO-you are better off in the long run to get an alltrax controller...the old one WILL fail again-probably sooner than later....if this cart is a long term keeper-and i assume it is-get a HD solenoid and alltrax controller from ScottyB and save the time and trouble of messing with unreliable old parts.....good luck and keep plugging away!

Thanks Mutant.

If it were my cart, I would upgrade. It's a friend of mines and he just wants to get it running for his funeral home.

I have the cart switched to maintenance/tow mode...

Can I hook everything back up, and try to drive it? I guess I'm asking if the solenoid is hurt, will it hurt the controller again?
Old 02-03-2017, 10:14 AM   #26
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

you need to test the solenoid to determine if it is good-cartsunlimited has tests listed there on their website to help you...

low battery voltage to the controller will take out the controller,as JonnieB said...

as far as if it is POSSIBLE for a solenoid to damage the controller-i dont know-my GUESS is no....i know it shouldent hurt the alltrax...it has built in protection against low voltage.
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:57 AM   #27
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

If the solenoid coil is shorted, it may damage the controller, unless it's a series. Since it has a run/tow switch, I'm not sure where solenoid voltage comes from.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:52 PM   #28
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by danman View Post
Thanks Mutant.

If it were my cart, I would upgrade. It's a friend of mines and he just wants to get it running for his funeral home.

I have the cart switched to maintenance/tow mode...

Can I hook everything back up, and try to drive it? I guess I'm asking if the solenoid is hurt, will it hurt the controller again?
If the solenoid coil is shorted totally or even partially, excess current will pass through it and take out the solenoid drive again. That drive is only rated to sink 3 Amps. More than that will burn it out. Newer controllers test current draw and go into shutdown to try to protect itself. Those older controllers did not have that technology.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 01:06 PM   #29
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The solenoid activation circuit for a DCS drive is sort of a hybrid between the series drive and PDS drive. Wit a series drive it is all external to the controller and in a PDS drive the controller supplies both B+ and B- to the solenoid coil. With a DCS drive, B+ is supplied by the external switches while B- comes from the controller.

If your DMM has a 10ADC scale, disconnect the blue wire from the solenoid coil and use the ammeter and test leads to jump the now empty small terminal to the main negative terminal of the battery pack.

With the Run/Tow in Run, a direction selected on the F/R and the key ON, the solenoid should click and you'll be able to read how many amps are flowing through the coil. IIRC it ought to be about 1A.

Last edited by JohnnieB; 02-03-2017 at 01:08 PM.. Reason: grammer
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:37 PM   #30
danman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

JohnnyB dropping that knowledge!

Now, if only I were smart enough to understand it....lol
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO