lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-08-2017, 08:33 PM   #1
fellinger
Not Yet Wild

Default Power Issue

I am posting here because I had no response in the STAR section. I am sure this issue is not unique to STAR and some of you might have the answer.

I have a 6 passenger STAR which I bought 2 seasons ago. It was in need of some repairs but have done us well. There was an issue with one of the Trojan 105 batteries where the post was stripped and would not fully tighten the terminal connection. My buddy made a fix with a cut washer and a little weld and it was holding good.

This past weekend while driving it I hear bad arcing. When I lifted the seat there was a small fabric fire which I quickly put out. There was no damage. Since this fix wasn't working anymore I decided to change the battery out with a new one. I could likely use to replace them all but, with funds being what they are I can only do one. I replaced it with a cheaper battery which turns out to be about 15 amps less than the Trojan. I replaced the cable as well. I cleaned all cables and terminals and made sure there was good, tight contact.

When I first installed the new battery my meter read full (48v). I took the cart for a ride up a small hill that it would normally accelerate up and it lagged very badly and the power dropped to half. I put the cart on charge for a while and when I tried to use it again I noticed the battery meter flashing between the last two marks on the meter. I charged it again but, this time for 12+ hours and the meter still flashes and there is not the same acceleration.

Thoughts on this situation?
fellinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-08-2017, 08:38 PM   #2
marianol
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Power Issue

The experts will join and give a more educated advise.

But rule of the thumb mixing batteries is not a good thing.
You may be dragging the whole package to the lowest battery.

Which battery did you use?
When fully charged what is the voltage of each battery?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
marianol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:45 PM   #3
fellinger
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianol View Post
The experts will join and give a more educated advise.

But rule of the thumb mixing batteries is not a good thing.
You may be dragging the whole package to the lowest battery.

Which battery did you use?
When fully charged what is the voltage of each battery?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Thanks... I knew it was a risk. I forget the battery offhand. I will look this weekend. I will also throw a meter on each battery at that time.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:59 PM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

48 volts is dead. Charge them, then wait hours then check each battery and post the results. Each battery should read 6.37 volts and nearly 51 volts for the pack.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:23 AM   #5
fellinger
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
48 volts is dead. Charge them, then wait hours then check each battery and post the results. Each battery should read 6.37 volts and nearly 51 volts for the pack.
Thanks. I will be at the camper this weekend and will look at it. What do you think the issue with the battery meter blinking is?
Old 05-09-2017, 09:01 AM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

You need to buy a handheld digital multimeter. They can be bought at ACE, Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, etc. for around $20.

I bought a couple of these for my "disposable" DMMs; one for me and one for my son:

http://www.tequipment.net/AmprobePM55A.html?v=65116

Overkill for most buggy uses.

Mine was a Wavetek, later Meterman, then Amprobe.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:06 PM   #7
fellinger
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
You need to buy a handheld digital multimeter. They can be bought at ACE, Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, etc. for around $20.

I bought a couple of these for my "disposable" DMMs; one for me and one for my son:

http://www.tequipment.net/AmprobePM55A.html?v=65116

Overkill for most buggy uses.

Mine was a Wavetek, later Meterman, then Amprobe.
I have one. Will check the batteries this weekend hopefully.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO