lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-14-2017, 04:30 PM   #1
Conradconrad
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Motor recommendations

In the market for a new motor.

Going to be seeing what ScottyB recommends but would also like to hear others recommendations, thoughts, preferences and or general advice

My cart is a 2007 txt pds that's running 42v, alltrax 500 controller and 2 gauge wires.
No lift, 10inch wheels with 18inch tires with street thread. I have a back seat.
Cart is street legal and used 100% on completely flat roads. The only hill I go over is a bridge for a intercoastal waterway.

Cart use is taking my wife and I to the beach to the store and put to restaurants. About 40-50% of the time we will have 3-4 total people on the cart.

I'm coming from a DCS motor that was in a PDS cart and between the upgrades of alltrax and wires and 42v it ran great and had good power and speed.

Goals are to keep speeds 25-30mph but not loose on torque compared to the stock DCS motor.

Open to everything
Conradconrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-14-2017, 05:17 PM   #2
davewil@mc.net
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Motor recommendations

I have the same cart and highly recommend the D&D motor shown in my signature line.
davewil@mc.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 07:44 PM   #3
Conradconrad
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I don't see that one listed. Am I looking on the correct site?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1540.jpg (139.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-14-2017, 10:08 PM   #4
mattadata
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I also have a similar setup on 48V. I went with an Admiral motor from ScottyB. Runs well....no issues. It does right about 26-27 mph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b934bFFMICE
mattadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 10:28 PM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

While it sounds like most of your time is spent on flats, do you have to maintain 25 mph on the bridge? Intercoastal waterway bridges are usually steep, high, and long. I know I used to piss off a lot of cars when I bicycled over one, years ago.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 11:28 PM   #6
Conradconrad
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
While it sounds like most of your time is spent on flats, do you have to maintain 25 mph on the bridge? Intercoastal waterway bridges are usually steep, high, and long. I know I used to piss off a lot of cars when I bicycled over one, years ago.
No I don't have to maintain 25mph on the bridge. With the old DCS motor and alltrax I was able to keep about 20-21mph up the bridge with a passenger

The two bridges I go over are not long as our waterways are narrow. Height is about 4 stories. I just read so much about hill speed loss, it makes me want to mention it.

Also curious if even a stock pds would fit the bill since I had a DCS motor. Is there a big difference between the DCS and PDS getting to speed with four people(650lbs)
Old 05-15-2017, 06:09 AM   #7
agpfl
Wild Gone

E-Z-GO

I am watching what you choose. I need a PDS motor for my Series to PDS project cart that will run 42v.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
agpfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:14 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conradconrad View Post
No I don't have to maintain 25mph on the bridge. With the old DCS motor and alltrax I was able to keep about 20-21mph up the bridge with a passenger

The two bridges I go over are not long as our waterways are narrow. Height is about 4 stories. I just read so much about hill speed loss, it makes me want to mention it.

Also curious if even a stock pds would fit the bill since I had a DCS motor. Is there a big difference between the DCS and PDS getting to speed with four people(650lbs)
I exploded a stock PDS motor with a DCX400 at 42V.
Of course I was spinning it at 8000+ RPM at the time going downhill, the motor was hot from climbing said hill and it came apart when I lifted my foot at the bottom of the steep hill and the regen braking kicked in, adding more heat and a lot of physical stresses.

The problem with the DCX family of controllers is they don't RPM limit the motor, but at 42V a stock speed PDS motor will max out at about 28 MPH with 18" tall tires, which is about 6500 RPM and at the upper limit of the max recommended RPM. The XCT-PDS family of controllers limit the motor RPM to whatever the user adjust it to and uses motor RPM as part of the field mapping routine, so a standard speed PDS motor can be used at 42V or 48V without over-revving it.

A stock DCS motor is a higher torque motor than a stock PDS motor, so it doesn't spin quite as fast with the same voltage applied, but produces more torque. On the other hand, the D&D ES-76-51 is a standard-speed/high-torque motor. In other words, it will spin at about the same RPM with 42V applied as a stock PDS motor (roughly 6500 RPM), but has about 30% more torque (which is about 20% more than a stock DCS motor), so it doesn't slow as much going uphill.

If you want to minimize how much the cart slows down going uphill, go to 48V at the next battery replacement and install a XCT-PDS controller to keep from over-revving the motor.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:52 AM   #9
davewil@mc.net
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

D&D ES7651 is not listed on the D&D website , just call them for price and to order.
JohnieB also uses this motor.
With any motor, with stock diameter tires and stock rear end ratio, top speed should be limited to 25 mph - or you will over rev the motor.
To go faster, increase tire diameter.
davewil@mc.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:53 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Max recommended speed with stock height tires (18") and stock gears (12.44:1) is actually about 28 MPH (6505 RPM).

25MPH is only 5808 RPM.

Max motor RPM is subjective.

It depends on the max RPM rating of the bearings and their health as well as how well the armature is balanced and how well it is "glued" together.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO