lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-19-2017, 11:33 AM   #11
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO RXV electric brake problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmanley View Post
The original brake had the same problem after I replaced the resistor drain circuit. The original problem was the resistor drain. The cart had stopped working after the resistor heated. When I disconnected the black wire from the drain circuit, the cart would work, so I replaced the drain circuit.
I did remove the Danaher controller and its cover to visually inspect it for heat damage. I didn't see any sign of damage and re-installed it.

It's possible that the controller may have gone bad. However, I hate to replace it (it is rather expensive) if that is not the problem. I have considered buying the handheld diagnostic tool. There is no dealer/repair company that services RXV carts anywhere near us.

Would the 606215 handheld tool help in diagnosing this problem?
The resistor heats up during normal operation when regen causes the voltage to get too high. This heats up the aluminum plate that the resistor attaches to, shutting down the controller due to the temperature sensor getting hot. If your controller output that controls the resistor gets stuck on, the resistor will heat up when it's not supposed to, shutting down the controller. Check to see if the resistor is coming on when you are not in overvolt condition (67 volts or more at the battery pack).

The handset has some usefulness, mainly for diagnostics and adjusting parameters. It's a bit expensive for what it does.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-19-2017, 07:34 PM   #12
billmanley
Not Yet Wild

Thanks. After much web searching, I can't find the 606215 handheld for the Danaher controller and ezgo no longer sells it. I am considering the Curtis 350 amp upgrade, which will get rid of most of the components in the braking circuit. It also includes new wiring harness. That may be my best option.

I really like the cart. It has served me impeccably for over 5 years in extremely mountainous country. The only drivetrain work I have ever done to it was in the first year when I changed the pack from 4 12 volt trojans to 6 8 volt trojans. So, I really hate to give up on it.

In the original problem, the resistor got nearly red hot going uphill and the cart quit. That was fixed when I replaced the resistor drain unit.
billmanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:29 PM   #13
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmanley View Post
Thanks. After much web searching, I can't find the 606215 handheld for the Danaher controller and ezgo no longer sells it. I am considering the Curtis 350 amp upgrade, which will get rid of most of the components in the braking circuit. It also includes new wiring harness. That may be my best option.

I really like the cart. It has served me impeccably for over 5 years in extremely mountainous country. The only drivetrain work I have ever done to it was in the first year when I changed the pack from 4 12 volt trojans to 6 8 volt trojans. So, I really hate to give up on it.

In the original problem, the resistor got nearly red hot going uphill and the cart quit. That was fixed when I replaced the resistor drain unit.
I went with the 350 Amp Upgrade controller on my 2012 RXV. It made no difference as delivered, E-Z-GO has them turned down to perform exactly like the stock 235 Amp Curtis controller on level ground. It's only on steep grades that you can see and feel the extra performance. The braking is identical from Danaher to Curtis, you only lose the external resistor control.

I had to go in there with my Curtis programmer and tweak some parameters to increase performance overall. I switched back to the stock Curtis controller and put the upgrade controller back in the box for future use. I was new to the E-Z-GO version of Curtis controllers. Once I mastered tweaking the upgrade controller, I applied the same tweaks to my stock controller, and it satisfied my needs.

Bob
Old 09-19-2017, 11:37 PM   #14
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

New resistor circuit fails? Remove small black wire makes it run again? Again new symptoms of failed resistor control module? That might be a controller problem.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 02:41 AM   #15
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
New resistor circuit fails? Remove small black wire makes it run again? Again new symptoms of failed resistor control module? That might be a controller problem.
I was thinking the same thing.

Tags
rxv auto-brake problems
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO