lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-02-2017, 08:10 AM   #1
vartz04
Getting Wild

Default The saga of my First Golf Cart - 2001 G19

well. I posted a couple of questions threads but I plan to do some modifications to the cart and I know I will have a lot to share so I figure I will just start a running "build" thread.

Here she is the day I brought it home:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1st..jpg (104.7 KB, 0 views)
vartz04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-02-2017, 08:17 AM   #2
vartz04
Getting Wild

Default Re: The saga of my First Golf Cart - 2001 G19

So in our little lake community you must have turn signals, a horn, and brake lights along with headlights and tailights. I bought the Maxjax kit not realizing that there is no way the holes that are required for the maxjax kit would fit up with the current lighting kit. No problem. except I wanted the LED lights to reduce battery drain while driving as we have to have lights on at all times

The tailights fit fine, the headlights I used the existing plastic mount but cut out the back. I lost adjust ability but they actually are aimed pretty well. I couldn't use the LED turn signals though so I had to wire in the old ones (new ones were rectangular, old ones are round) I will search for a way to convert that to LED but they don't draw that much and are rarely used.

Before i started this process I found a replacement dash locally on ebay for $70. Not a bad deal. So i installed that at the same time. In the process some of the old wiring for the forward/reverse switch broke so I had to require that.

All in all this took about 6 hours and it would have taken maybe 2 on a stock unmolested cart.

Oh and don't mind the UTV jump seat that the PO put in. That will be replaced this winter as funds allow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LED Lights.jpg (172.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Dash.jpg (207.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Ghetto Seat.jpg (236.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-02-2017, 06:58 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Those lenses on front signals should be able to be popped off, and the bulbs are easy to find wedge base bulbs at the auto parts store.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:59 AM   #4
vartz04
Getting Wild

Well looks like I need to buy a windshield if I am going to use it in colder weather or a night with all the bugs by the lake here

It had one on it but when I was removing it (thing flopped and squeaked annoyingly at full speed) it broke.

I guess I’ll just try the bottom half only to see if that helps at all.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:00 AM   #5
vartz04
Getting Wild

Haven’t posted in a while....

Went through it on Friday and wired up a relay to turn the voltage reducer on and off with the key. After coming home twice and seeing the lights on from the kids playing with it that was a much needed modification

I really wanted a trailer hitch for two reasons. 1 to get rid of that ghetto platform on the back and make just a little slide in shelf for a foot rest and 2 so I can use the golf cart to tow my kayak down to the beach instead of my car. Now it’s getting almost too cold for that but oh well.

At $75 for a piece of receiver tube and a piece of angle iron with 2 holes in it I couldn’t bring myself to it. I bought the tube and the angle and welded it up on Tuesday. Man it had been too long since I welded. I need more practice. Anyway I’m working on painting it now and I’ll throw up some pictures of that later today.

Tomorrow my controller from Scotty B should show up. I’ll have to get that programmed and installed and do a test drive before picking up the kids/the wife gets home.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:30 PM   #6
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Which controller did You go with? I just installed an Alltrax XCT in a G22 (same motor and controller as yours when stock) and after playing with the programming I found a sweet spot w Torque and Speed which does pretty good off the line and still gets me in that 24mph territory w the stock GE motor, if You went with the same controller I'd be curious to see what results You get. I also scored a set of 6:1 gears off the 'Bay today for $125, so I'm thinking the budget on this one just may stretch to allow the motor to get sent off to PQ, haven't decided yet and will see how it all goes :)
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:55 PM   #7
vartz04
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCityMusic View Post
Which controller did You go with? I just installed an Alltrax XCT in a G22 (same motor and controller as yours when stock) and after playing with the programming I found a sweet spot w Torque and Speed which does pretty good off the line and still gets me in that 24mph territory w the stock GE motor, if You went with the same controller I'd be curious to see what results You get. I also scored a set of 6:1 gears off the 'Bay today for $125, so I'm thinking the budget on this one just may stretch to allow the motor to get sent off to PQ, haven't decided yet and will see how it all goes :)

I got the 400 Amp. I’m not interested in going that fast but I want the torque for the hills. If I could get it up to 17 mph or so that be perfect. Speed limit here is 25 and with the little kids I doubt i would want to be cruising at that speed.

It would be nice to get that on the fly profile change thing though so when I was solo I could go 20-22 mph.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:10 AM   #8
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

You shouldn't need to buy the dial/switch setup, You can tap into the plug on your harness and install a DPDT switch (on-off-on) and use that switch to change between the 3 profiles - set one up for your torque, one for the kiddies, and one for yourself. That won't give you the "real-time" control, of course, but it will still get You 3 entirely different cart characteristics
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:42 AM   #9
vartz04
Getting Wild

Alright I’ll have to source one of those 3 pin connectors and do that. Yesterday I went down to the gas station on a beer run with my buddy and that is exactly the time it would be nice to go 20 mph. The 16 mph setting it is at now is perfect for the wife and kids.

Here is the receiver hitch I made. Should work nicely for hauling the kayak on my little trailer. I am going to take off the wooden rear platform and I just bought a 36” wide hitch step to use as a foot rest for the back seat. Again this is more temporary than anything as I’ll be buying a flip seat in the next year.

Next question.... I need a lift and some bigger tires. Mostly for looks but for one main reason - the spillway by the *** in our subdivision. There is always water over the road here and during the summer when it’s pretty dry but the rest of the year I think it would be too deep to cross in an electric cart. What lift would you suggest?
Old 01-31-2018, 05:30 PM   #10
vartz04
Getting Wild

Well it’s been winter and I started a new job and have been doing home remodeling so the cart has been neglected.

Upside is things have leveled out so I need to get a couple things done before it’s warm enough to ride again. For the time being I am putting the lift and rims/tires on hold. For the rest of the winter here are my plans
New chrome hubcaps to get me by til next winter when I lift it
New wiring so I can turn up the controller
HD rear springs
Rear seat and new front seat cover
Potentially new batteries as mine are 10 years old and still work alright but I know that’s going to fall off fast
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha