lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-20-2017, 05:47 PM   #11
top1000nole
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: New to me cart struggling up hills and batts appear ok???

will do Scotty
top1000nole is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-20-2017, 09:29 PM   #12
top1000nole
Not Yet Wild

Ok so I probed the charge port and you guys were right on with the 5v voltage loss so looks like I have some batt problems.

Scotty (or anyone else for that matter) when you said if this was the case I should test batts indepentant as it might just be one do I disconnect any leads or just meter voltage on + and - per batt and if so what exactly am I looking for?

Thanks everyone
Old 10-20-2017, 09:34 PM   #13
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Lots of people (dealers included) upgrade all the visual stuff to appeal to buyers without ever upgrading the drive system; when in fact these visual upgrades diminish the drive system's ability to get ir done.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 01:43 PM   #14
top1000nole
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Lots of people (dealers included) upgrade all the visual stuff to appeal to buyers without ever upgrading the drive system; when in fact these visual upgrades diminish the drive system's ability to get ir done.
So you are saying it is not the batts even though like I posted earlier they did drop 5V as mentioned before and if I put new batts in it will still be a non functional cart?
Old 10-21-2017, 02:02 PM   #15
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Not exactly - basically the carts are engineered for golf. And the components used in their assembly are adequate for the assignment. Which means they are capable of carry 2 passengers 300 yds down a fairway or up a hill to the club house.
But when you add rear seating and big tires you change the design formula and the OEM controller, solenoid, F&R, cables, and in some cases even the motor... are no longer adequate for the assignment.

A 5v drop with big tires, rear seat, and steep hills is not a red flag but it's nearing the acceptable limit. I would test each battery. No need to disconnect. Attach the meter to each battery 1-6. Write down the standing voltage and then see how low each one drops going up the hill. If one or 2 are significantly weaker than the lot .... you may need new batteries.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 02:49 PM   #16
top1000nole
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Not exactly - basically the carts are engineered for golf. And the components used in their assembly are adequate for the assignment. Which means they are capable of carry 2 passengers 300 yds down a fairway or up a hill to the club house.
But when you add rear seating and big tires you change the design formula and the OEM controller, solenoid, F&R, cables, and in some cases even the motor... are no longer adequate for the assignment.

A 5v drop with big tires, rear seat, and steep hills is not a red flag but it's nearing the acceptable limit. I would test each battery. No need to disconnect. Attach the meter to each battery 1-6. Write down the standing voltage and then see how low each one drops going up the hill. If one or 2 are significantly weaker than the lot .... you may need new batteries.
Ok I will check the batts out individually tomorrow. Do you think I should put smaller tires on it? Has 22" now. also have you heard of these batt refresh packs and if so do they work? supposedly you poor the solution into the batts and it supposedly fixes them.

I really appreciate your help on all this. Once I get the batts figured out and if it still won't do what I need it to I will pick up a new controller and solenoid from you. Would that be all I need to get more juice? How does changing out the controller and solenoid add so much more juice? Once again thanks for everything.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:38 AM   #17
top1000nole
Not Yet Wild

Ok so heres the update on individual batt test. I did not charge cart last night just fyi. 5 of the batts all had standing voltage slightly over 6, 6.05-6.09 and one had was hanging right at 5V.

I pulled the cart up against a wall and the 5 batts with the good standing voltage would only drop about .5-.7 under load and the one with the low standing voltage would drop almost 3v.

Am I save to assume at this point I running one bad batt? would one bad one really make that much of a difference? I suppose it would I guess. If concensus is one bad one I will replace and report back.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:53 AM   #18
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Lets back up a bit and start with some basic info.....

36v lifted txt w/22 in tires and stock motor/controller is NOT a good setup for hills.

You will need to invest a significant amount of $$$$ to get desired/good performance .

this will end up being-

1) upgraded controller/sol.
2) 48v batt pack (6x8v most likely)
3) new charger (48v)
5) optional speed/torque motor.

You may be better off selling/trading the TXT for an RXV.
RXV has STOCK--no mods except dealer programming--

1)19mph speed.
2)exceptional performance on hills.
3)gear whine noise (just a free bonus)

As long as you leave factory wire harness alone(strictly DFW) cart is reliable and easy to maintain.

Just a thought.. others will chime in.

(service tech north of Atlanta Very hilly area-- seen this many times before)
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:11 PM   #19
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by top1000nole View Post
I did not charge cart last night just fyi. 5 of the batts all had standing voltage slightly over 6, 6.05-6.09 and one had was hanging right at 5V.
To begin with, your batteries are in a fairly low state of charge. At 6.05 - 6.09 volts, the good batteries are at a 50 - 60% state of charge (see charge chart attachment). The suspected "bad" battery is at less than a 10% state of charge. For reasonable battery life, it is recommended that lead acid batteries should NOT be drawn down to less than 50% state of charge. As you can read on this forum, many members suggest to keep keep your batteries at as high of a state of charges as possible at all times ... meaning, after using your cart for any period of time, recharge, recharge, recharge!

As batteries age, their performance will also decrease at a rate that depends on how well they were maintained (proper charging intervals being very important).

This being a new to you cart, I can appreciate that you have had no control over if these batteries have been properly cared for.

How old are your batteries? A date code should be stamped on your battery terminal ... see the attachment for reading the date code. If your batteries are 3 or 4 years old it may be nearing time for a full replacement. On the other hand, some members report battery life up to 7 years with excellent battery care practices. On the flip side, some batteries will fail in less than 2 years with poor maintenance.

To start with, I suggest to give your batteries a full charge. Let them sit for 12 to 24 hours (allows voltages to stabilize) and record the pack voltage and the individual battery voltages. Then repeat the load test and report the results back to the forum.

I would also suggest to measure the resistance of all your high amperage cables on your cart. Each cable should have a resistance of about 1 ohm or less.

I don't disagree with some of the other suggestions on this thread, but I believe that it is prudent to start with an analysis of your batteries before you determine your forward plan.

Regards, 3CW
Attached Files
File Type: pdf battery-state-of-charge-chart.pdf (1.45 MB, 0 views)
File Type: pdf US Battery -Date Codes.pdf (250.1 KB, 0 views)
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:38 PM   #20
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by top1000nole View Post
Hey everyone, I just got my first golf cart and am very excited about, been wanting one for a long time.
Here is some good information on Battery Maintenance from Trojan Battery:

http://www.trojanbattery.com/tech-su...y-maintenance/
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO