lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-06-2017, 11:40 PM   #1
PigSticker
Not Yet Wild

Default 1996 48v CC DS cutting out randomly

New member looking for help.

I have had a gas 99 CC DS for about 5 years and love it. Got a beat up 96 electric DS a few weeks back. It needed some throttle parts so I got an MCOR conversion and viola, my 400$ lifted cart runs like a champ. It worked great for a couple weeks. Took it all over the neighborhood and even on a 3 mile journey to pick up the kids from school. Absolutely enjoying the quiet of electric.

So I fixed a few nasty looking wires and added some LED headlights using a 16v-12v reducer and pulled the brakes apart trying to get them working. Spent hours doing all of this but in the end, took it for a victory lap. Trip was about a mile and a half around the neighborhood. 300 yards from the house, rounding a corner to the right, it shut off completely. Towed it home, and everything is a no go power wise. The lights worked and batteries are charged, but no forward or backward momentum.

Go out in the morning to try to troubleshoot the problem, and presto, the cart works again. Figured out one of my brakes was dragging, so figured something just got hot. Fixed the stuck brake and thought all was well. Well, NO.

The problem has gotten worse. It is totally random, sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. But it doesn't let me get more than a half mile from the house. When I start to go it will go fine, then feel like it has only half power. Sometimes it goes back to full power, and sometimes it shuts off completely. I have cleaned every connection I can find and made sure they are tight. I have checked voltage going into and out of the relay and controller, all the way to the motor. The relay clicks every time I hit the throttle and juice is getting through per my volt meter and test light. same with the controller. I removed the lights and reducer, but still random cutting out.

I am at my wits end. I love this little junk cart, but i don't really know what to do from here.
PigSticker is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-07-2017, 01:48 AM   #2
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Re: 1996 48v CC DS cutting out randomly

Trouble shooting this will be a process of elimination.

It may sound simple, but start by checking your battery pack voltage with no load and pack voltage again when driving. And then check each battery with both no load and when driving. You could have a weak battery that is going into failure mode. Also check the resistance of all your high amperage cables to make sure that one is not going bad.

When you have another shut down event, check the temperature of all the high amp cables, solenoid, FR Contactor, Controller and motor to see if anything is heating up which may indicate a problem.

Report back what you find from the above and perhaps some of the more experienced members can guide you from there.
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:55 AM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

There were 3 different 48v Club Car DS models in 1996, it would help if you can identify what you have.

Assuming you have a 48v Series cart (big lever for FNR), a stuck Solenoid could cause those symptoms.

Always troubleshoot a non running cart with one of the rear wheels OFF the ground.

The voltage across the Solenoid big posts should be 0v when it "clicks" if the Solenoid contacts are closing properly.

That 16v->12v reducer is not good for the pack health and You should replace it with a 48v->12v reducer.

If Your cart still uses the OBC for charging, all negative connections should come OFF the Controller B-, there should be a single cable and no other wires on the pack negative battery post.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:01 PM   #4
PigSticker
Not Yet Wild

It has a big lever on it for FNR, i think, in the center. It is exactly like my 99 gas DS
Old 12-08-2017, 02:08 AM   #5
PigSticker
Not Yet Wild

Well.....had quite a setback. Noticed one of the wires going to the motor had a portion of the insulation looked like it had been burned or worn off. I went to pull the wires off and clean those terminal posts. 2 came off clean, 2 broke off. One I was able to rig back. Another broke off at the bottom nut. I tried to pull off that nut and the post free spins. Reading through this fantastic sight, I feel I have probably torn up the wire on the inside and will have to pull it all apart. So I will likely have to wait until after Christmas for me to have time to pull it apart.

With all of that said, the wire that looked cooked was the orange (looked it to me) wire coming from the FnR switch. Could this have been my problem. Sound like a bad wire? bad connection? bad switch? bad motor?
Old 12-08-2017, 02:25 AM   #6
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Always use 2 wrenches on those nuts.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:46 PM   #7
PigSticker
Not Yet Wild

yeah, little late now. I actually tried, but I didn't have a second wrench thin enough to get between the wire connector and the motor, so I gave it a shot. Lucked out on the first one, second not so much
Old 12-08-2017, 04:39 PM   #8
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigSticker View Post
yeah, little late now. I actually tried, but I didn't have a second wrench thin enough to get between the wire connector and the motor, so I gave it a shot. Lucked out on the first one, second not so much
Crud! That ain't good.....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:59 PM   #9
roundtable2
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I am currently cleaning a solenoid pack on a 1984 and have a spare wrench that I ground
down to easily fit between solenoid housing and cable.
roundtable2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:28 PM   #10
PigSticker
Not Yet Wild

After a TON of reading and youtube watching, I think I may have figured out what the problem was. One of the brakes when I was working on them got overly tight and was dragging. I'm used to gas motors and if a brake is dragging all you're gonna do is trash the brake. So I said a mile or so isn't gonna kill it. I think the extra drag on the motor, along with an already old corroded connection, heated up that connection, make it an even worse connection. I think this caused my intermittent problem. So if I hadn't broken the stud off, It would've been a relatively easy fix.

Going to pull the motor off next week and see if I'm willing to tackle fixing it myself. A new motor isn't really in the budget, plus this was supposed to be a budget cart. On top of that, I just bought new wheels and tires for it, so there went my new motor money. Brushes aren't expensive and I'm pretty handy, so I guess we will see.

I have a feeling my 400$ cart is going to turn into a 4000$ cart pretty quickly with all of the stuff I want to do to it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car