lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-18-2017, 11:49 AM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: PDS cart not running, got a couple of charred pins

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgray70 View Post
Thanks Johnny, I didn't know exactly what the purpose of J1 pin 5 was, but that makes perfect sense. I'll try that this afternoon.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
J1 Pins 4 & 5 connect the battery pack to the controller. Pin-4, which is connected to the battery via the reed switch, provides power to the controller's internal electronics and Pin-5 provides power to the switches and stuff external to the controller. I'm not sure which of the two pins supplies power to the power supplies that feed the speed sensor and ITS.

I'm pretty sure that Pins 4 & 5 are connected directly to the Run/Tow switch and when in the Tow position, the voltages on the two pins stop at the Run/Tow switch and the controller is completely powered down.

I've never been able to find a manuals, schematics or logic diagrams for a Curtis 1206MX controller (stock PDS controller), but based on inputs and outputs, I have been able to visualize a block diagram its functions and do some reverse engineering on some of them to figure out what makes them tick.

Except for the analog ITS input, the 36V PDS controller is a digital device and how it operates can be described with a Boolean equation or a Truth Table.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-18-2017, 11:55 AM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Johnny, where do you check the auxiliary power? Is that J1 pin 5?

Yes.

Put your test probe into the backside of J1 to see if it is getting there.

Check J3 Pins 1 & 3 the same way to see if it is getting through the burnt pins on J1.

Also check between B- and B+ on the controller to make sure the voltage between the is equal to the battery pack voltage when the solenoid is activated. (Bad high current cables between battery pack and controller can also trigger a welded solenoid error.)
Old 12-18-2017, 12:06 PM   #13
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Yes.

Check J3 Pins 1 & 3 the same way to see if it is getting through the burnt pins on J1.

Also check between B- and B+ on the controller to make sure the voltage between the is equal to the battery pack voltage when the solenoid is activated. (Bad high current cables between battery pack and controller can also trigger a welded solenoid error.)
I will check that tonight. I don't think power is getting through J1 pin 5. I think the main problem is the pin on the controller side. The harness side is discolored but intact, the controller side looks to be missing part of the pin. May be time for a controller!

mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 01:15 PM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
I will check that tonight. I don't think power is getting through J1 pin 5. I think the main problem is the pin on the controller side. The harness side is discolored but intact, the controller side looks to be missing part of the pin. May be time for a controller!

Put an Alltrax XCT48400 (or larger) with a 200A (or larger) solenoid in it.

The XCT will kick the top speed up to about 24MPH (on stock height tires), but it is user programmable and you can dial the top speed back to whatever you want.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:58 PM   #15
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Yes.

I get pack voltage on J1 pin 5, and J1 pin 1&3. I took the pre charge resistor off with no change. Now the solenoid will click and the cart will move slow for a couple of tries, then no click. Jumped B- to solenoid - to get the solenoid to engage, but still no go. You can cycle the tow/run and it will go a couple more times, but slow. I'm still thinking controller. Something got hot in there at sometime to have burnt that one pin and also got the red wire going to the tow/run switch hot enough it kinda melted the coating a little.

mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 11:09 AM   #16
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Maybe you can get Santa to put a XCT under your tree.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO