lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-29-2018, 08:29 PM   #1
Ribber
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default 2002 DS dying

My 02 CC DS has recently began dying/losing power after a short period of time.
Checked the pack voltage overnight after charge and got 50.4 volts and each battery was 8.4 which is not fully charged.
I have reset OBC a few times, but no change.
Batteries are Crown 150 amp (August 2016) and I have the OEM Powerdrive charger. I clean terminals every few months and check water, and everything looks good.
Why can't I get a full charge?
I've noticed charger gauge cuts off at 8-10 amps.
Ribber is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-30-2018, 10:29 AM   #2
Golferdave
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2002 DS dying

Check pack battery volts when driving
Then individual battery volts when driving
Or take to a shop & have batts load tested

Eliminate batts first

A slow downward performance change
usually means batteries.
Golferdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:19 PM   #3
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

The cold weather may have had an effect. I'd wait until it gets warm before making any decisions.
WalterM6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:32 PM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
I've noticed charger gauge cuts off at 8-10 amps.
The OBC should keep the current around 5 amps for a while, especially after it has been reset.

You should disconnect the power from the pack for over 10 minutes for the OBC to reset, there is no need for anything else.

Also, make sure there is a single negative cable (no other wires or cables on pack negative battery post) and that cable goes through the OBC to Controller B-.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 08:29 PM   #5
Ribber
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
The OBC should keep the current around 5 amps for a while, especially after it has been reset.

You should disconnect the power from the pack for over 10 minutes for the OBC to reset, there is no need for anything else.

Also, make sure there is a single negative cable (no other wires or cables on pack negative battery post) and that cable goes through the OBC to Controller B-.
The OBC does not keep the current around 5 amps. It never goes below @8 amps.

I do disconnect positive and negative for 10-15 minutes to reset OBC.

There are no additional wires on pack negative and the cable goes through the hole in OBC.

Looks like I'm only getting about 70-80% charge. I'm going to do a little more investigating before I post back.
I think I need a new DPI charger, but I hope that I haven't doomed 1.5 year old batteries by delaying getting a new charger.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:59 PM   #6
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...d-battery.html

Read this.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:51 AM   #7
Ribber
Getting Wild
Club Car

I don't think the Powerdrive/OBC has ever been 'right' since I've had the cart. The charge cycles were never long enough (never has it charged more than a few hours) and my battery light did the 10/4 second blinking which the manual says indicates incomplete cycle.

The cart runs great for an hour or so, but starts to slow down. I checked pack voltage the next morning after cycle earlier this week and was 50.5. 2 days later after sitting idle pack voltage was 49.5. I wouldn't think it should lose that much voltage sitting for 2 days?

The OBC reset never seemed to change this and I've left pos/neg cable off for several hours, so if that doesn't reset it, I don't know what will?
I ordered the DPI from scotty and will bypass/throw away OBC and hope for the best. But, I'm afraid by not addressing this sooner that I've hurt my batteries.
Old 02-10-2018, 07:53 PM   #8
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Time will tell, but since you were at least getting sufficient charge voltage to the batteries, I bet they will be fine....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 08:04 AM   #9
Ribber
Getting Wild
Club Car

Got the DPI charger, bypassed OBC yesterday evening, and started charging last night @7PM. Don't know when charge cycle finished, but it was charged this morning.
Pack was 53.3V and each battery was @8.9V. I assume this is normal?
May not get a chance to drive it much this weekend, but I'm anxious to see how batteries hold a charge.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:31 AM   #10
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribber View Post
Got the DPI charger, bypassed OBC yesterday evening, and started charging last night @7PM. Don't know when charge cycle finished, but it was charged this morning.
Pack was 53.3V and each battery was @8.9V. I assume this is normal?
May not get a chance to drive it much this weekend, but I'm anxious to see how batteries hold a charge.
That is exactly where the batteries should be at and whenever you do get a chance to drive it, since it is an "Accusense" charger, it will be at the top of the charge index as it maintains your pack with a low amperage "trickle" charge....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car