lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-12-2018, 09:37 AM   #1
DriveRotor
Not Yet Wild

Default Stay electric or go gas??

Hello. Newbie alert....I've sold my farm and my electric golf cart with it and have moved into a neighborhood. I used my electric golf cart everyday previously on the farm while out and about all day.

However, the only time I'll use a golf cart now would be to shuttle the kids down the road to the pool once/twice a week for a 1 mile drive there and back.

I'm afraid if I went back to electric to put a total of 2-3 hours of driving time for the entire summer that it might hurt the batteries since they wouldn't really ever get low?

Should I purchase gas instead, or am I safe with electric?

Thanks in advance...
DriveRotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-12-2018, 10:35 AM   #2
Jmzvet
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Stay electric or go gas??

Based on what you describe an electric cart will suit your needs just fine. I use mine the same way. Its always ready go. No noise or exhaust is nice too.
Jmzvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:41 AM   #3
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

If you are starting over as you have sold your electric look around and see what you can find. Gas may be a little more noisy but less headaches in my opinion. You just jump in and go.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:11 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
If you are starting over as you have sold your electric look around and see what you can find. Gas may be a little more noisy but less headaches in my opinion. You just jump in and go.
Gas = jump in, pull the choke, pump gas, crank & get it started, wait for it to warm up and go - versus sit down and press the peddle

Also, it is a misconception that batteries need to be drawn down to be recharged. Wet cell batteries are quite content to be kept at a full charge all the time. Batteries left in a discharge state will sulfate and lose storage capacity.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:02 PM   #5
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveRotor View Post
I'm afraid if I went back to electric to put a total of 2-3 hours of driving time for the entire summer that it might hurt the batteries since they wouldn't really ever get low?
It sounds like you are familiar with an electric cart, which is an advantage for you. With the right battery charger and proper charging, your short use will not be a problem. ScottyB's comment on keeping the batteries "at full charge all the time" is right on the money

I would suspect that short use could have some drawbacks for a gas cart, as stale gas can result in a gummy carburetor (or worse ... been there - done that).

In your low use application and with your prior electric experience, I would suggest that an electric cart would be a good fit.
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:59 PM   #6
vartz04
Getting Wild

with what you describe you won't go through a tank of gas a season. that means draining gas or bad gas gumming up your carb every winter.

go electric. Heck with that usage you would likely get 8 years or so out of a set of batteries before they wouldn't hold a charge long enough to make that trip. you could even use cheaper lower capacity batteries if you had to replace them and be in it for less than $700 and thats $87 a year if they last 8 years.
vartz04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:12 PM   #7
DriveRotor
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the replies guys.

So, if I go gas, should I change the oil every year as if its a lawnmower?

How do these machines do with stabil in the fuel?

Again, thanks for the help. My wife informed me she preferred if I went gas as well. She doesn't 'want the blame' when she forgets to plug in the cart after using it.
DriveRotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:54 PM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I bought my cart used from a guy who believed the batteries should be run several days before charging = abused. Even having been abused, they never left me stranded for 9 years, though climbing uphill was not much faster than brisk walking.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:00 PM   #9
Cruise Master
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveRotor View Post
Thanks for the replies guys.

So, if I go gas, should I change the oil every year as if its a lawnmower?

How do these machines do with stabil in the fuel?

Again, thanks for the help. My wife informed me she preferred if I went gas as well. She doesn't 'want the blame' when she forgets to plug in the cart after using it.
This is coming from someone who leaves all types of his motors for 6 months at a time. Don't use Stabil, instead use SeaFoam. Use Premium non-ethanol fuel (i.e. for collector cars.) This will greatly lower your risk of issues with a gas engine.

What it costs to replace batteries can pay for a lot of repairs from the neighborhood shade tree mechanic. That doesn't even include the $1,500 of sparky upgrades if the fever hits you.

As far as the oil change goes. Everyone has a different idea. Some every 6-12 months. Others when it looks dirty. The new oil on the market now doesn't necessarily follow old school best practices.
Cruise Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:58 PM   #10
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

Go gas and have no worries.
What I have done as I don’t put a lot of use in my gas carts is... I just drain the fuel every 3 months and put that fuel in my truck. Then refill the cart as needed.
BLACK DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO