lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-13-2018, 10:11 AM   #1
imaeyeguy
Not Yet Wild

Default Alltrax SR48500 no power

Upgraded my txt series cart to 48v with stock motor. Controller to alltrax SR48500, F&R as well as solenoid all upgraded to 48V high power, 2 gauge wiring throughout. It works great; however, when I try to run the cart before a complete charging cycle, it will not supply any forward power, only reverse. If I let it complete the cycle, then it works fine. I am wondering if there is any protection mechanism built into the controller that may restrict operation if the voltage is too high? That is all I can think of as far as difference between each scenario. I am unplugging the charger and immediately trying to run with it that results in this prpblem.i am thinking that there is residual higher voltage at that moment in time. Any ideas on fix? Is conttoller programmable to resolve this issue?
imaeyeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-13-2018, 10:44 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Alltrax SR48500 no power

Hi Doc
Yes there is an over voltage protection or cut off limit which the charge can exceed. First time it happened to me I needed a cart that was on charge and nearing the end of the cycle. The gauge showed 60+v , after a few minutes the pack settled and the cart was off and running.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:47 AM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaeyeguy View Post
I am unplugging the charger and immediately trying to run with it that results in this prpblem.i am thinking that there is residual higher voltage at that moment in time. Any ideas on fix? Is conttoller programmable to resolve this issue?
YES it is, totally programmable. I'm going to guess that you did NOT get this controller from cartsunlimited.net (scottyb).

all you need is to go to the Alltrax site and download the TOOL KIT its easy to find on the site, just go to the SR controller page. once installed on a laptop, connect to your controller with a usb cord. ONE if the settings is OVERVOLTAGE protection....it could h9ave been set lower than what you need. like out of the box it could have been factory set for a 36v system, that controller can be used for 36v, 48v and 72v.

TOOL KIT from Alltrax: Alltrax_Toolkit_Setup_V3_6.zip
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:57 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The max operating voltage for a SR48xxx is 62V and some, but not all, 48V chargers will exceed that during the finish charge phase. (The max voltage is user programmable.)

When misbehaving, does the solenoid click in both F and R or only in R?

For the most part, the controller doesn't know the difference between F and R, since the direction of current flow through the field windings is determined by the high current contacts in the F/R switch. The only difference at the controller is voltage being applied to the the pin the orange wire connects to, telling the controller to go into the reduced speed reverse mode.

When it won't go forward, are you getting any error codes? (sheets attached)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SR error codes.jpg (302.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg SR error code checks.jpg (220.0 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:12 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The default high end cut off setting is 61v
Old 02-13-2018, 11:28 AM   #6
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

[QUOTE=JohnnieB;1475540]The max operating voltage for a SR48xxx is 62V and some, but not all, 48V chargers will exceed that during the finish charge phase. (The max voltage is user programmable.)

QUOTE]

That's odd Johnnie....as this is right off their website. but getting to 72v would be a 600a controller, he has a 500a so I'm sure its lower for his application.

Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:34 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

[quote=Sir Nuke;1475551]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
The max operating voltage for a SR48xxx is 62V and some, but not all, 48V chargers will exceed that during the finish charge phase. (The max voltage is user programmable.)

QUOTE]

That's odd Johnnie....as this is right off their website. but getting to 72v would be a 600a controller, he has a 500a so I'm sure its lower for his application.
SR controllers that work at 72V are in the SR72xxx family and they only go up to 500A.

Also, the max controller voltage for the SR48xxx family is listed as 62V. (90V for the SR72xxx family)

Spec page from Operators manual attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SR Specs page.jpg (234.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-13-2018, 12:52 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

For the latest specs, go to the Alltrax SR web-page: http://www.alltraxinc.com/Products_SR.html
Scroll down to SR Specifications.

The specs given are slightly different than what I posted from the manual (2016 edition), but only by a volt or two.

Making matters more interesting, the spec sheet download is slightly different from both.

Looks like Alltrax needs a good proofreader and copy editor.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:50 PM   #9
imaeyeguy
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Hi Doc
Yes there is an over voltage protection or cut off limit which the charge can exceed. First time it happened to me I needed a cart that was on charge and nearing the end of the cycle. The gauge showed 60+v , after a few minutes the pack settled and the cart was off and running.
Thanks. I will try to get in and change the settings. What is safe value to set?
imaeyeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:50 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

For max voltage 62v is okay
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO