lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-01-2018, 10:21 AM   #11
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Run time

True, Series motors are not as efficient at high rpms as sepex motors. And one thing I've learned is there are general rules but generally the rules are easily broken by any number of factors We as DIYers change and effect the outcome.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-01-2018, 03:38 PM   #12
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

ok on a series motor would it make a difference if it was a high speed or a torque motor, as far as finding its best run time . do speed motors tend to generate more heat at lower speeds then torque motors ?
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 04:35 PM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
1. True, Series motors are not as efficient at high rpms as sepex motors.

2. And one thing I've learned is there are general rules but generally the rules are easily broken by any number of factors

3. We as DIYers change and effect the outcome.
1. Sepex motors tend to be more efficient at higher RPMs than series motors, but the field of a sepex motor can be weakened excessively and then the efficiency goes belly up.

2. Truer words were never spoken.

3. Nearly all changes have both positive and negative effects, so due diligence must be exercised in selecting components.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 04:50 PM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
1. ok on a series motor would it make a difference if it was a high speed or a torque motor, as far as finding its best run time .

2. do speed motors tend to generate more heat at lower speeds then torque motors ?
1. I'm not sure one way or the other. The cart speed for the best run time would be different, but the percentage of top speed the best run time speed is might be similar. Without a dyno, the only way I know of to compare run time vs speed is measuring how much the SoC drops over a known distance at different speeds, starting at 100% SoC on each run, at the same temperature over the same course.

2. Probably, a speed motor would be operating closer to its max torque output for the RPM, but I don't know for sure. Good question to pose to one of the motor manufacturers.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:01 PM   #15
rib33024

rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 06:39 PM   #16
Binderman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I've never driven an electric cart more than a block my entire life. Now I read about matching batteries to chargers and run times, resistor carts being hard on batts, etc.

I want to buy a cheap set of batts for my first cart (resistor) but yall have me sweating. In the real world, what is the life expectancy of golf cart batteries that are taken care of and what kind of distance should I expect out of this old gal??

Thanks all!!
Binderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:03 PM   #17
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I've never owned a resister cart, but driving at less than 100% WILL lose battery energy in the form of heat. Experts can probably give you an idea if loss of efficiency is greater or less than letting your batteries serve a motor and a heater, which rivals an electric stove/oven heating element.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:09 PM   #18
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binderman View Post
I've never driven an electric cart more than a block my entire life. Now I read about matching batteries to chargers and run times, resistor carts being hard on batts, etc.

I want to buy a cheap set of batts for my first cart (resistor) but yall have me sweating. In the real world, what is the life expectancy of golf cart batteries that are taken care of and what kind of distance should I expect out of this old gal??

Thanks all!!
Unlike the carts with electronic speed controllers, resistor drive carts get the best Range/Run-time when the pedal on the floor. Otherwise, some of the amps are converted to heat before they get to the motor.

A well maintained set of golf cart batteries ought to last 3 to 5 years, the higher the Amp-hour rating, the longer they ought to last. Keeping the batteries charged when not in use also lengthens lifespan. My batteries are going on 5.5 years and still running strong, but they are premium grade (245AH) batteries and have been on float charge when cart is not being driven since day one. Economy grade batteries tend not to last as long.

How far the cart will go on a single charge varies with the AH rating of the battery, but you typically get about 1 hour of pedal time with standard grade (~225AH) batteries, so if the cart averages 8 MPH, it'll go about 8 miles.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO