lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-02-2018, 08:31 AM   #1
DubK
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default New to me 3 Wheeler Project

Picked up a 1990 3 wheeler yesterday for $200 not running (the light blue one). Plan to restore it for my parents. The other one is a 79 model that's a resistor coil cart that I have fixed up. What is blowing my mind is that I can't find the resistor coils on the new cart. Is it a solid state cart with a controller?! I thought all of the 3 wheelers were resisters. If it is solid state, that will make me very happy as I can do more mods.

Anyway, it needs new batteries as it has been sitting over a year and the 8 year old batteries will not charge. I want to upgrade to 48 volt when I get new batteries. Can anyone tell me what other components I will NEED to upgrade as well? Not looking for a speed demon as my parents will just be using it around their neighborhood. I only want to know what parts are required to upgrade when I go to 48 volt so I am not frying components. Thanks

DubK is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-02-2018, 09:19 AM   #2
TexTurbo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: New to me 3 Wheeler Project

I cant help with the identification part, but a PM to Scottyb (site sponsor and all around helpful guru) will take care of "what do I need to do"...
he even has a "package" to convert a resistor cart to solid state...

Give him a shout.

BTW... a nice find !!!! There have been some very nice 3 wheel builds in the forums !!!
TexTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:48 AM   #3
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

There were some three wheelers with controllers. Otherwise the resistors would be in a metal box. Send a picture of under the seat and we can see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:20 PM   #4
DubK
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok here are some pics.

Old 04-02-2018, 12:40 PM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

withou9t a doubt you have a SOLID STATE 3-wheeler.....as in the center of the cart you can see the controller/solenoid.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:43 PM   #6
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubK View Post
Ok here are some pics.

Yes. That’s a Curtis speed controller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 01:40 PM   #7
DubK
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Wow thanks y'all I guess I really lucked out with this one! I took the seat off for the first time to take a look and there and said WHAT!? Expecting to see a resistor coil. I had no clue they were using controllers in 1990 on 3 wheelers.

Going to clean it up this week and then start the process of getting it running again. New batteries, new cables, wires etc.. And see how it runs just on 36 volt. Later on I may switch to the XCT Alltrax 400 controller and HD SW180 solenoid. If I still want more power after that I'll go to 42 volts on the stock motor. (After doing research on here I found that Scottyb recommended that a few times to others)

This will be my first cart to ever fix up 100% on my own so I'll be asking you guys lots of questions.
Thanks y'all
Old 04-02-2018, 01:47 PM   #8
DubK
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Also, what's a good solution to use to clean up all the grime and corrosion around the controller/solenoid? I know about the baking soda/water method for the batteries and cables. What's a good way to get everything else under there cleaned up real good? Once I remove the batteries I'll be doing some rust prevention as well. It already has a nice battery tray with minimal damage.

Tags
1990, 3 wheel, 3 wheeler, marathon, three wheel
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO