lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-05-2018, 10:11 PM   #1
Harlow42
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default OBC Battery Light

I have a 1999 Club Cart DS 48v
I installed -6- new batteries and all seemed well, the charger looked at the pack, needle on charger went to mid point, dropped back to 0, then went back to mid point and started charging.
The charger was running but I had to remove the power to the charger to let a friend move a car and when I plugged the AC power back to the charger, the charger would not re-start.
At no time was the DC plug removed, just the AC power feed.
Cart is in Tow Mode, key is off.

I removed the DC plug and removed the AC power.
Hooked up the AC power, then plugged the DC plug back in.
Charger will not restart the charge, no solenoid clicking.

The battery light has never came on in all of the 16 years of operation.
How do I test the orange OBC battery light?
Harlow42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-05-2018, 10:17 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default re: OBC Battery Light

Did you check the 2 fuses... (back of Plug receptacle and Sense (yellow) wire bullet connector)
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 10:40 PM   #3
zookie2002
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Does the outlet have power? My charger acts in a similar way because I have it plugged into a GFCI.
zookie2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 10:43 PM   #4
Harlow42
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Yes, I checked the fuses and I checked the wall outlet to make sure it is alive.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:48 PM   #5
Harlow42
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Initially, after installing the new batteries, I took the cart out for a spin and was happy with how it performed, except for the regen. if I stopped on a hill, removed the brakes and let the cart rollaway, regen kicked right in (backwards or forward).
If I accelerated over a hill and let off on the accelerator, the regen never kicked in.
The regen never kicked in when going very fast down hill either.
After 20 minutes of run time, I plugged the charger up to do a recharge and thats when the charger issue cropped up.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:09 AM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Sounds like you have a Regen 2 cart from your description....

You can bypass the OBC by running a jumper from the back side of the charge receptacle (where the black 10g wire is that goes into the harness) and run it directly to the Main Pack Negative. Also take the grey sense wire coming off the same receptacle and land it to the same place. This will allow the charger to turn on "if" the OBC has failed.

Note- This is only to test and not to make normal operation.

If that doesn't work, then you have an issue inside the Charger (probably the relay or the breaker) but steps are here http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...eshooting.html
Old 05-06-2018, 04:27 PM   #7
Harlow42
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: OBC Battery Light

Thanks for the reply, it's raining right now so I'll have to look for a break :)
Right before the rain, I unhooked the batteries and did a OBD reset ( cart in tow mode, reverse position till buzzer died)
The auto charger start still didn't start.
I have two of the Powerdrive chargers and I have had to set one up with a jumper over the relay. I can charge the batteries all the way to a trickle 5 amps , I know the batteries, by volt meter, are up to 9 volts each, so it must be a simple cure.
Crazy thing is, the auto charge did work, initially.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:30 PM   #8
Harlow42
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

NoleFan4Ever;
You were right! I read the 'quick help on the charging system' and it pointed me in the correct direction.
I have two Power Drive chargers and both seem to have a bad relay. One of the chargers I had already jumpered out because I didn't know how to trouble shoot it's failure.
The other charger WAS, working correctly. That is, up and until I put a new set of batteries in.
I now need to order the relays and I should have both chargers up and going, do you have any good recommendations on who to order from?
So, your assistance was greatly needed and appreciated.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:33 PM   #9
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Here you go https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/charger

Any questions about part #'s or concerns just call David (TahoeDawgZ71) and you will be pleasantly helped.

Whatever you do, don't try to go cheap with the ebay/amazon knock offs as most ARE cheap replacements that would not meet OEM specs.
Old 05-13-2018, 03:14 PM   #10
Harlow42
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Nolefan4ever
I have ordered 2 relays, waiting for them to arrive.
How important is the yellow battery light? I installed a battery meter because $21.00 is rather pricy for a light

Tags
charging issues
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car