lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-14-2018, 04:27 PM   #11
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Advise on upgrading to 700a FSIP controller 0-5k

With a 700 amp controller they are feeding your Tim the toolman emotions. Grrrr. No way you will ever pull 700 amps.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-14-2018, 04:28 PM   #12
Sgregg87
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by radelon View Post
I guess the real question is, what is your current controller?

-rotational speed is proportional to voltage applied
-torque is proportional to current pulled (Amps)

So in theory, unless you change your input voltage, or gear ratio (by tire size or differential), then your top speed shouldn't change.

Now, allowing more amps to flow will allow the motor to receive more "power" enabling more load to be applied, so more torque/towing power.

The only instance when the controller could help speed is if the current controller/wiring/forward reverse switch/solenoid configuration has a weak link. With this scenario the system is actually limiting it's own performance. If the weak link is the controller, then a speed increase is possible if upgraded.

Ex: If your cart motor is asking for 350amps just to pull the weight of itself and it's cargo at top speed but your system is only allowing 250amps then your top speed cannot be reached. Or about 70% capability. Thus leaving 30% untapped. Although not directly proportional that's 30% unused so a 30% gain would result in around 33mph. Like I said though, this isn't perfect.
Thanks again, Radelon. Is there a method to test current amps being pulled by the motor in order to get a solid outlook on the situation.(Maybe with a volt meter?) By the way, My cart is stock, besides the D&D 170-011-0002, as well as 4AWG cables throughout battery series. The controller is a CURTIS PMC 1204-408, and shows current to be 225a.

Thanks,
Sean Gregg
Sgregg87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:22 PM   #13
Redbeardcc
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

The controller is limiting how much current the motor can draw. With the stock controller the motor is only getting around the 225 amps it can supply. A bigger controller can feed it more amps. I would recommend looking at the specs of your particular motor and see what the recommended max amps are. Then pick a controller that works in that range. Size the wiring, solenoid etc to match.

What you don’t want as an example is that 700 amp controller feeding a stock motor. It will run real good until it melted into a big paper weight!
Redbeardcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:16 PM   #14
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Alltrax Pertinent Info:

2 year warranty versus Others 1 year
"Auto Throttle Calibration" for smooth throttle and 100% current delivery
Forced Cooling Fan that comes on the high amp models
The only controller with reverse polarity protection on the input and the output
Shift on the fly (FNK1) mode selection
The Monitor screen and batch file capabilities from the Tool Kit with assistance from Tech Support for deciphering problems
Etc. etc.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:10 PM   #15
radelon
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
Hmm.... Maybe you misread the post or did not comprehend what it said; let me help you with it. "Hey Sean.... Go here https://alltraxinc.com/sr-series/ and read up on what these can do for you and all the functions available." Means go look for yourself and gather ALL the pertinent information and make your own decisions....

Like its 2 year warranty versus FSIP's 1 year
Or the "Auto Throttle Calibration" for smooth throttle and 100% current delivery
Or the forced Cooling Fan that comes on the high amp models
Or the only controller with reverse polarity protection on the input and the output
Or shift on the fly (FNK1) mode selection
Or the Monitor screen and batch file capabilities from the Tool Kit with assistance from Tech Support for deciphering problems
Or.... Well you get my point, so no where did I say (or htb) that he has to "get" an Alltrax, just gave him our opinions and reasons why, just as you are providing yours for a FSIP.
Sorry I wasn't arguing against your post, I was just saying that it's always the only answer people give and while it may be superior in features, performance wise it's just not going to do anything different because it's a series cart.

Ultimately people are going to buy what they want, if someone would trade me an Alltrax for my FSIP straight up, I would do it.

Facts are facts though, in the end they still will perform basically the same. So if he can get a deal on the FSIP and someone is recommending it, then unless it's a terrible controller it's prolly just fine.

Sean, sounds like you should upgrade the controller and your solenoid as you probably only have the 200amp. And yes, you should definitely see an increase and the FSIP can be turned down to 350amps so you can adjust to your liking.

We are all friends here and I'm sorry if I ruffled any feathers.
radelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:17 PM   #16
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Sean, I seriously doubt you'll get to 35mph with that motor and adding the 700 fsip. I think you'd need a custom wound motor, excellent battery pack and a big controller to get that number or taller gears.

But I think if you add the 700amp fsip and upgrade to 2awg cables you'd probably gain a couple mph and get there a whole lot quicker than what you do now.

The fsip is a great controller for series carts when it comes to price per amp and you'll find other members who agree with me.

P.S. If I had a SepEx cart, no doubt I'd go with an Alltrax. But with these simple series carts the fsip is more than sufficient.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:17 PM   #17
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by radelon View Post
We are all friends here
Yep, you are 100% right Pal.....

I just try to get all the info to them, just as you are trying to do. And no doubt we do for the most part lean towards Alltrax the last 2 years around here, but it is only because they are doing some cutting edge stuff there and especially in there XCT line. But we all know that all the other manufacturers (Curtis, FSIP, etc.) have been around a long time and make stead fast components.... And you are also correct, in a Series, there is not a lot of manipulation as in a Sepex style

Poor Sean, now we have really scrambled his brain....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:42 PM   #18
radelon
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
Yep, you are 100% right Pal.....

I just try to get all the info to them, just as you are trying to do. And no doubt we do for the most part lean towards Alltrax the last 2 years around here, but it is only because they are doing some cutting edge stuff there and especially in there XCT line. But we all know that all the other manufacturers (Curtis, FSIP, etc.) have been around a long time and make stead fast components.... And you are also correct, in a Series, there is not a lot of manipulation as in a Sepex style

Poor Sean, now we have really scrambled his brain....
Lol.... He still got a wealth of information in a short amount of time. My cart came with the FSIP ... After all the problems I have been through with my cart I was just about to ask what else I could do , but short of buying a new motor or finding a good used one I'm maxed out.

Good luck Sean and report back and keep us updated on your journey.
radelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:38 AM   #19
Sgregg87
Not Yet Wild

Thanks all for the immense wealth of information! I love to learn, and you guys have definitely helped me along my journey! As for the specs of my new motor, this is all I could find. I did not see any info on max amp draw:

Performance Specifications
(Golf Cart Motors)

Vehicle Speed : 24 MPH

Torque Enhancement : -15 %

Motor RPM : 5550

Peak HP : 11.1
Vehicle performance specs are compared to the standard factory performance.
Several factors can effect the performance. Some are battery conditions; tire size, tread type and air pressure; and varying environmental conditions.
Standard factory speeds normally run between 12-14 MPH
This information is based on a standard factory gear ratio and no trailer hitch being present on the cart. Any change in gear ratio or addition of a trailer hitch will void any liability, unless pre-authorized by D&D Motor Systems.

Application Comments
(Golf Cart Motors)

1. Speed Focus

2. A controller upgrade is required unless utilized in an extremely flat environment.

3. This motor should NOT be used on vehicles with high speed gears or with more than a 4 passenger backseat kit. Current draw will be too high and speed will be unsafe!

The model number is 170-011-0002 by D&D. Does anyone else have any experience or additional info about this particular motor?

Thanks again guys,
Sean Gregg
Sgregg87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:08 AM   #20
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I think you have all the information available. It will increase speed and decrease torque. A typical speed/torque trade off. It requires a bigger than stock Speed control which means it will draw more amperage. A bigger than stock speed controller will require an upgraded solenoid, and may require an upgraded F&R and cable set to balance the amperage delivery system and avoid failure.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car