lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-29-2018, 06:32 AM   #1
jb2c
Not Yet Wild

Default Speed increase

I've read various threads on increasing speed for my cart (2007 Precedent). Speed magnet. PlumQuick Bandit. Alltrax. Controllers. HD Solenoids. Speedy Link. Change the code. I'm officially confused.

What's the easiest way to increase speed for a 2007 Precedent? What's the cheapest way? I'm not looking for anything drastic. Just a 4-5mph increase. My cart does 17mph right now. When I'm going downhill, it feels like it could go faster, but it feels like something is holding it back. I assume that is the speed magnet? I'm leaning towards changing the speed magnet first, to see what change I get from that. Second choice would be a motor change. What would a typical shop charge to do a motor change? This is my first golf cart and I have not dug into the cart to figure it out yet, and I don't see that I'll have the time to do that any time soon.
jb2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-29-2018, 01:12 PM   #2
Lrbergin
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Speed increase

Easiest and cheapest is magnet. I have a 2007 Precedent as well and that was what I did and it made a world of difference for $30. Took about 15 minutes to install and gave me an extra 5 mph. I'm getting 19 mph on flat ground now.

The regen braking is what is holding you back on the hills and the magnet will disable that.

I'm no expert by any means and in the same boat you are with a new cart and trying to figure it all out. I'm probably going to go the Alltrax route soon to get even more speed and torque, but that is an expensive upgrade compared to the magnet. For the price you can't go wrong.
Lrbergin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 01:41 PM   #3
jb2c
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Lr. I saw one magnet for $33 on Amazon and another one for $19. They were both for carts with the ADC motor. I've got to check and see what motor I have. The cart is at the beach and I am not. I'm not a speed demon, so if a magnet will get me an extra 4-5mph, I'll be happy with that. If it doesn't, I think I'll just get the Speedy Link and plug that in.

Is there any little 'trick' to changing out the magnet?

How do you like your Precedent so far, and what sort of additions will you be doing?
Old 05-29-2018, 02:35 PM   #4
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Is there any little 'trick'
The trick is NOT to buy off Amazon on dollar value only - there are "Chinese" speed Sensors out there which fail A LOT and OFTEN. It's inexpensive regardless, but if you buy it from THIS GUY. You'll get what you pay for. He ships fast and only stocks reliable/reputable stuff.

Edit: Plus he'll take your call if you're puzzled about installation...
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 02:40 PM   #5
Lrbergin
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb2c View Post
Thanks Lr. I saw one magnet for $33 on Amazon and another one for $19. They were both for carts with the ADC motor. I've got to check and see what motor I have. The cart is at the beach and I am not. I'm not a speed demon, so if a magnet will get me an extra 4-5mph, I'll be happy with that. If it doesn't, I think I'll just get the Speedy Link and plug that in.

How do you like your Precedent so far, and what sort of additions will you be doing?
I bought my magnet from ScottyB off ebay. It was super simple to do and I just watched a youtube video. I'm pretty sure the Speedy link does the exact same thing as the magnet and is just more expensive and probably not as fool proof.

So far I've added the speed magnet, a flip down back seat, head/tail lights, and some mirrors. Alltrax, lift kit, and aftermarket motor are down the road but on the list. Alltrax will probably be the first.
Lrbergin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 02:52 PM   #6
jb2c
Not Yet Wild

joesam, a very good suggestion. I will do that. I've seen many of his posts on here, and want to support someone who contributes knowledge to the forum.

I've added brake, turn signals, horn to mine to make it legal for my town. Next will be grab bar/chair holder, a new dash, and the speed magnet. Maybe a SeaDek mat for the rear deck.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:54 PM   #7
_ogre
Golf Cart? oops 😉

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb2c View Post
i just bought a speed magnet from tahoedawg @ revolution
at his suggestion i used a paint can opener to pull the magnet out of the motor while still in the cart
remove rear pass wheel and plastic inner fender to access the end of the motor
hook this over the magnet and use a screwdriver thru the handle to pry against the frame
work it out slowly: turn, pull, turn, pull, turn, pull... easy peasy

_ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:35 PM   #8
jb2c
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for that! Sounds like it will save me some work.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:47 PM   #9
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ogre View Post
i just bought a speed magnet from tahoedawg @ revolution
at his suggestion i used a paint can opener to pull the magnet out of the motor while still in the cart
remove rear pass wheel and plastic inner fender to access the end of the motor
hook this over the magnet and use a screwdriver thru the handle to pry against the frame
work it out slowly: turn, pull, turn, pull, turn, pull... easy peasy

It helps when you have the right tools for sure. Thanks again for your business.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:47 PM   #10
jb2c
Not Yet Wild

Will be ordering the magnet from you. As soon as I can get down and confirm which motor I have. I just have not been there and had time to look since I got the cart.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car