lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-05-2018, 08:00 PM   #11
FZ0niner
Getting Wild

Default Re: Repainting golf cart roof, mistake made, spray on bedliner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead1956 View Post
If you were able to get that much paint off by pressure washing, I would have to say it needed more prep work. Sanding or scuffing is necessary, but more importantly is to wipe the surface down just before you shoot it. Sanding just moves the oil or other contaminates around, It does not remove them.

I use lacquer thinner and paper towels. Then don't touch it with bare hands as the oil in your skin will contaminate the surface and the paint will not adhere well.
Would self etching primer work?
FZ0niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-05-2018, 10:45 PM   #12
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

If you like the look of the bed liner, I’d do that. It sounds like NCPW has had good success with it.

I needed to paint my beige top white and it was quite the ordeal. There’s a design center forum here and a sub forum of that that deals with pant. There’s a few threads in there on painting tops. It seems to be a mixed bag, as far as who has had success, even with following similar prep protocols. The consensus seemed to be the following:

Wash with DAWN dish detergent and a scotch brite pad.

Use an adhesion promoter (believe bulldog something was the brand most recommended)

Spray with krylon fusion.

I spent a lot of time researching and also found a YouTube about a pro painter who first takes a torch to it to release the oils. As he’s doing that, he follows it up with a wipe of thinner. I did that, and followed all of the above steps, and it still scratched too easily in places. Because I’m stubborn, I tried it three different times. Finally a buddy of mine with a factory that builds fixtures took it and used a primer that were not even supposed to have in California. It’s held up well for a year now.

If I had to do it again, I’d probably just spring for a new top.

Again, if the bedliner look works for you, you’ve got a guy here that has had success with it.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:58 PM   #13
jeremykent
Gone Wild

I use raptor bed liner for the carts and the rope works very well, almost too good. I had a customer damage 2 headlights and couldn’t tell she hit anything.

Prep with a 80 grit cup brush wipe down and spray.
jeremykent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 04:06 PM   #14
Ezgowow
Not Yet Wild

How many raptor bottles did you use?
Ezgowow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:16 PM   #15
Sideways
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by FZ0niner View Post
Would self etching primer work?
Probably not, as self etching primer is primarily designed for etching a metal surface.

One method I use after scuffing & cleaning plastic or vinyl is to spray the panel or part with straight lacquer thinner out of a spray gun, then go right back over the part or panel with color. ie wet on wet
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:54 AM   #16
MUDSLINGER250
Getting Wild

I sanded mine then used a coat of bulldog got it from a auto parts store it makes the paint stick to the plastic. Then used krylon spray paint. Still looks great after 2 years of driving through the bushes.
MUDSLINGER250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:22 AM   #17
DFW Rusty
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I used this on the body of my golf cart and it's really tough. Took 7 cans to paint the golf cart and it's holding up very well in the woods. I will be repainting my roof with the black textured paint when the time comes...
DFW Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO