lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-18-2018, 10:43 PM   #11
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Re: Equalizing charge on new T875 batteries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmeister2 View Post
My batteries were installed today. I am giving them a full charge, meaning I planned to leave it on all night. After 3 hours on the charger, the needle is down to 3 amps. I know it is safe to leave it on all night, but is it necessary?
Yes, it is necessary to complete the charging cycle until you have a full charge. At 3 amps, you will be into the finish charge stage where it will charge your batteries at 64 to 65 volts and bring the state of charge from about 95% to 100% (see attached Trojan charge profile). It is important to charge your batteries fully as it also helps them to develop their full strength, which will take 50 to 100 charge cycles.

During this battery break in period, it is important to limit your depth of discharge (optimally to 20% discharge / 80% state of charge) before fully charging them again. For maximum battery life, you will also want to limit your amperage draw as best as you can ... with slow starts and avoiding "pedal to the metal" driving during this break in period. That's not to say you can't discharge them deeper, not charge them right away or drive them hard ... but it will very likely result in a shorter battery life in the long run. Some people get 2 years out of a set of batteries, some 5 years and other others report even longer. Treat them good, maintain them properly and chances are you will get a longer life out of them.

According to Trojan:

What to Expect from your Trojan Battery
- A new deep-cycle battery will not immediately deliver its full rated capacity. This is normal and should be expected since it takes time for a deep-cycle battery to reach maximum performance or peak capacity.
- Trojan’s deep-cycle AGM and gel batteries will reach rated capacity in less than 10 cycles.
- Trojan’s deep-cycle flooded batteries take between 50 – 100 cycles to achieve full, peak capacity.

Here is also some good advice regarding battery break in from Scotty at Carts Unlimited: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-break-in-.html

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trojan - Typical Charge Profile.JPG (50.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Trojan Charger Voltage Settings.JPG (55.7 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Trojan Battery Users Guide - 2015.pdf (2.60 MB, 0 views)
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-19-2018, 07:44 AM   #12
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Okay, so I definitely have the Gen 4. How does it switch to equalization?
Hold the "Menu Select" button down for ten seconds and it will switch to equalization mode.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 06:57 PM   #13
buckmeister2
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
Hold the "Menu Select" button down for ten seconds and it will switch to equalization mode.
BINGO!!! Thank you so much for that info, Walter, and thanks to all others for the help you gave. I only have three charging cycles so far, and did not know it would be better to break them in with less than full op speed. Will make that change for the next couple months, which should give me about 35 charging cycles. I use it for two rounds of golf per week, and another two days each week on a 1 mile trip. I got a fantastic deal on the batteries, but that doesn't mean I want to replace them in two years...
buckmeister2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:21 PM   #14
DaveTM
Gone Wild

My 8 6V T-105's were purchased in 2012. I have a DPI charger that is so old.....there is not a dial indicator on it.

I'm a maintaince freak when it comes to my cart batteries.....because they cost a bunch!!

So, now it's 2018....the batt's are 6 years old. I've never equalized anything on 'em. I'm currently switching over to Lithium, but my point is even though these T-105's are on their last leg....(I could get this hunting season out of 'em if I keep my trips short)....6 years going on 7 ain't to bad for just "add water and charge when you bring it back....oh and keep the terminals clean!!!
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:48 PM   #15
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

If you just use your cart to go to church on Sundays or go hunting on Saturdays you can expect 7 or 8 years life expectancy. On the other hand if you drive 5-10 miles a day 365 days a year you can expect a lot less out of them. Maybe 3 years.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:58 AM   #16
DaveTM
Gone Wild

My cart is used at least 4 to 5 days per week on average. I'm disabled and cannot walk far. Thus the need for the cart. It's how I get around on my little piece of dirt, and how I get around on other peoples farms.

I've been disabled\retired for 13 years. This cart is my legs, and I use it often.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 07:43 AM   #17
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

I think, like DaveTM stated, maintenance is the key.

Equalization is nice and all but having a good practice of keeping the terminals cleaned, connections tight, water above the plates, on the charger when not in use and not over discharging will give you a lot of years out of those batteries.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car