lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-22-2018, 11:56 AM   #1
garyred
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1996 Ezgo txt rebuild

Hi folks,

I bought a 1996 txt a few months back in the hopes of rebuilding it and to use it at BBQ competitions. I had been looking for awhile and as I did not want to spend a lot on the initial purchase but I did not want compete piece of junk either. Here is what I came up with. While I did not pay a great deal for it nor was a complete piece of junk, the prior owner did make quote a few questionable modifications. Luckily, they were not a very good welder so I was able to remove the modifications pretty easily.

My plans for the cart are to install a new high torque motor, replace all the battery cables with 2ga, install a Jakes long travel, new wheels and tires, upgrade the batteries to 48v, and of course strip and paint the frame and body. I am also going to install a heavy duty reversing contactor from ScottyB and also I was thinking the hunting buggy package.

Lots of work ahead but its just time right?

Gary

The questionable "lift" they had installed on the front

The questionable "lift" they had installed on the rear

I guess hooking up the rear shocks is optional

Not sure why they installed the old style receptacle

Batteries, nice mismatched set and cables

Controller

FnR switch

Nice battery tray, especially the boards they added

Frame is stripped, patched and primed

Pile of parts

Rear axle
garyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-22-2018, 01:11 PM   #2
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1996 Ezgo txt rebuild

Looking forward to following.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 10:58 AM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

you got a good starter and the plan you have laid out will certainly do the job and will serve you well. the on thing I can see in your pictures that you should consider is new rear springs. yours have flattened out and with the extra weight of the rear seat and passengers....I recommend you replace them with HD rear springs.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 12:11 PM   #4
garyred
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
you got a good starter and the plan you have laid out will certainly do the job and will serve you well. the on thing I can see in your pictures that you should consider is new rear springs. yours have flattened out and with the extra weight of the rear seat and passengers....I recommend you replace them with HD rear springs.
Yes sir, I have new HD rear leafs already. I also already have a new battery tray and the super duty reversing contactor. I did not need to contactor yet but I wanted to make sure I had it before I filled in the old hole to the FnR manual switch as I plan on putting the switch for FnR on the dash.

On the charging port, I know I want to replace the old one that came on the car when I bought it but I am not sure which one I should get. Should I get the D-style or another style? The one that came on the cart when I bought it has since been put in the trash can. I have to buy a charger also as the cart came with one of those piece of junk $80 eBay ones.
Old 11-23-2018, 12:40 PM   #5
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I agree with the comments on replacing the rear springs. Flat is not good.

It appears you have an Alltrax controller. That's a good thing. If you have a Windows PC you can download the Alltrax software (free) and make changes to some controller settings. You may like 'em just the way they are....but options are always good.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 12:53 PM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyred View Post
Yes sir, I have new HD rear leafs already. I also already have a new battery tray and the super duty reversing contactor. I did not need to contactor yet but I wanted to make sure I had it before I filled in the old hole to the FnR manual switch as I plan on putting the switch for FnR on the dash.

On the charging port, I know I want to replace the old one that came on the car when I bought it but I am not sure which one I should get. Should I get the D-style or another style? The one that came on the cart when I bought it has since been put in the trash can. I have to buy a charger also as the cart came with one of those piece of junk $80 eBay ones.
One option could be to have an onboard charger.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 05:49 PM   #7
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Should I get the D-style or another style? The one that came on the cart when I bought it has since been put in the trash can. I have to buy a charger also as the cart came with one of those piece of junk $80 eBay ones.
seeing as how you are upgrading to 48v system.....which ever charger you are going to get, see what style they come in and get one that matches, some places will sell you that same charger in whichever style port you want. so in reality, its truly up to you.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 08:35 PM   #8
garyred
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
seeing as how you are upgrading to 48v system.....which ever charger you are going to get, see what style they come in and get one that matches, some places will sell you that same charger in whichever style port you want. so in reality, its truly up to you.
Very true. I will probably get the charger from scottyb so I will just get the standard D connector and port. I had though about just going with an onboard charger but every time I do I always talk myself out of it.

I went out to the my other place where I keep the cart and it does not look like I will be painting the frame or body out there. There is water standing everywhere and its muddy. I do have the cart in a building but I do not want to spray it in there for several reasons. I brought some of the pieces home with me today and I will spray them here at my house. Once I get them done, I will go bring the frame here and spray it also. I bought the cart back in August and I am growing tired of waiting to work on it.
Old 12-01-2018, 12:35 PM   #9
garyred
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Update, decided against painting the frame and battery tray. Dropped them off at the powder coater yesterday morning and should have them back mid to late this coming week.
Old 12-01-2018, 02:56 PM   #10
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Update, decided against painting the frame and battery tray. Dropped them off at the powder coater yesterday morning and should have them back mid to late this coming week.
I did the same for my project. I took it to a shop and had them sandblast and powdercoat it. It was well worth the cost to me knowing that it was well protected.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO