lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-06-2019, 11:38 AM   #21
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Lost going forward then reverse

In a PDS cart, EZGO uses the NC (Normally Closed) contacts in the pedal switch to tell the controller to activate the solenoid. In other words, when the pedal is up the lever arm on the microswitch is depressed by the collar or cam on the plunger moved by the pedal linkage, opening the NC contacts. When the pedal is pushed, the roller drops off the cam, releasing the pressure on the lever arm and NC contacts are closed by a tiny spring that has been flexed thousands of times.

Eventually, the spring will fail, but just prior to that happening, the force the spring is exerting on the NC contacts might be weak enough that a sharp acceleration in the right direction can momentarily break the electrical contact, triggering a crash stop.

Attached is a cutaway of a SPDT microswitch showing the C, NO and NC contacts. The pedal switch only has C and NC contacts, but the mechanics are about the same.

Might be a good idea to replace the 20+ year old pedal switch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Microswitch- 600x750 with labels.JPG (48.1 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-15-2019, 06:05 AM   #22
Conradconrad
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

JohnnieB I see what you are saying. the cart is a 2007 PDS. And the box looks as though is has been replaced prior to my ownership 2/2017. Please see attached pics

I have driven the cart everyday (about2-3 Miles each day) since last week and have only been able to reproduce symptoms once this past Saturday for about two seconds. This time was on a flat road and it occurred when I let off the pedal to slow down a little and then reapplied throttle. When I reapplied throttle there was no acceleration, I pushed further- nothing. I then let go of the pedal all the way and depressed it fully a second time and it worked. There were no bumps involved. Makes me suspect you could be onto something.

Although my box may be newer should I still go ahead and replace the micro switch anyways?

My apologies if the pictures are oversized this is being uploaded from my phone
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BEAEF616-1D55-4229-97E3-89B03BF95ECA.jpg (239.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 0BB50A2C-0C24-42ED-ADBB-185813B68F2E.jpg (194.6 KB, 0 views)
Conradconrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:15 PM   #23
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Oversized pics are fine, as long as you use the paperclip.

The microswitch is so cheap, and easy to replace now that you have the box open, what could it hurt. Even brand new, the things are really fragile, and could have been defective or damaged.

That box and the "guts" do look brand new. Wonder why the previous owner did that?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:27 PM   #24
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The pedal box is pretty well sealed, so the innards look mighty clean if the top was installed right.

The pedal switch not always closing when the pedal is pushed a classic symptom of the spring getting weak.

The microswitches on a series drive's F/R switch assembly are more prone to this type failure since they are more exposed to the elements and a little debris buildup really gums up the works.

Replace the pedal switch.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:39 PM   #25
Conradconrad
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Replace the pedal switch.
Dumb question: pedal switch=microswitch?

Any brands or retailers I should try to get it from?

From what I could find online it looks like it’s part number 25861-G02 for a 2007 Ezgo txt PDS
Old 03-15-2019, 09:56 PM   #26
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Yes, pedal switch=microswitch=pedal MS=...

I try and buy from site Sponsors, found up top. Part number looks correct.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:11 AM   #27
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post

Old 03-16-2019, 11:20 AM   #28
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post

Of course, since it's St. Patrick's Day weekend, if you can find it at a cart shop nearby, I'm sure the Site Sponsors will understand. They ain't gonna get rich on a $5 - $10 part.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:21 AM   #29
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conradconrad View Post
JohnnieB I see what you are saying. the cart is a 2007 PDS. And the box looks as though is has been replaced prior to my ownership 2/2017. Please see attached pics

I have driven the cart everyday (about2-3 Miles each day) since last week and have only been able to reproduce symptoms once this past Saturday for about two seconds. This time was on a flat road and it occurred when I let off the pedal to slow down a little and then reapplied throttle. When I reapplied throttle there was no acceleration, I pushed further- nothing. I then let go of the pedal all the way and depressed it fully a second time and it worked. There were no bumps involved. Makes me suspect you could be onto something.

Although my box may be newer should I still go ahead and replace the micro switch anyways?

My apologies if the pictures are oversized this is being uploaded from my phone

My 2001 had never been changed out and looked about the same. Like johnnieb said, if it’s sealed up correctly, nothing gets in there.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:11 PM   #30
Conradconrad
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

So interesting turn of events. I ordered the microswitch since I didn’t get a chance to go during the weekend. We just took the cart to dinner and picked up some friends and we had five people total on the cart and we were driving maybe a mile down the street at 8-12 mph no fast acceleration or speeding. The cart reproduced the symptoms exactly three times within one mile.

I can tell you I would let off the throttle to slow down. Then need to accelerate again and press the throttle and the cart would accelerate for maybe 1.5 seconds and then cut out on its own. It 100% cut out after the pedal had already been pressed. Therefore the symptoms did not match the microswitch trouble.

Could a heavy load be the issue? There was 850-900 lbs of person on the cart.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO