lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-06-2019, 09:01 AM   #1
limocar
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default No charger interlock on factory 2017 EZGO L6 Express 48v

I have a 2017 EZGO L6 Express 48v with a 2 prong Delta Q Quiq charger. I bought it new from a dealer. I noticed I could drive with the charger plugged in. I asked the dealer. He some do some don't. At the time I thought I was getting the run around. Since the cart is a 6 seater there is a support bar above the charge receptacle blocking the 3 screws to open it up. The Charge Receptacle was riveted and I was hesitant of messing around with my shinny new cart.
Well, jump ahead 2 years, I drilled out the rivets so I can open up the charge receptacle and low and behold there is no reed switch. The wire goes to the positive prong, it looks like it was factory bypassed. Does anyone know why EZGO stopped using a reed switch?
limocar is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-06-2019, 11:14 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: No charger interlock on factory 2017 EZGO L6 Express 48v

Quote:
Originally Posted by limocar View Post
I have a 2017 EZGO L6 Express 48v with a 2 prong Delta Q Quiq charger. I bought it new from a dealer. I noticed I could drive with the charger plugged in. I asked the dealer. He some do some don't. At the time I thought I was getting the run around. Since the cart is a 6 seater there is a support bar above the charge receptacle blocking the 3 screws to open it up. The Charge Receptacle was riveted and I was hesitant of messing around with my shinny new cart.
Well, jump ahead 2 years, I drilled out the rivets so I can open up the charge receptacle and low and behold there is no reed switch. The wire goes to the positive prong, it looks like it was factory bypassed. Does anyone know why EZGO stopped using a reed switch?
Undoubtedly due to litigation.

The reed switch was a set of NC contacts held closed by a weak spring and encapsulated in glass, so it was a high failure item and a lot of people got stranded out in the middle on nowhere when it failed.

Not sure when they started bypassing it at the factory and I suspect the date they stopped using it in some body styles differed, but my 2008 PDS has a fuse rather than a reed switch.

The triangular 48V receptacle that the 2008 RXV was equipped with incorporated an electronic version of the reed switch and when it fails the whole receptacle has to be replaced, or the blue wire attached to B+ to bypass it. Same receptacle is used on other 48V drive systems and body styles.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 01:09 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Never seen any 2017 model that didn't use the triangle port.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 01:58 PM   #4
limocar
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Never seen any 2017 model that didn't use the triangle port.
My other two carts use the triangle receptacle. I was thinking of converting to the triangle style, but I'm on the fence.
Old 04-06-2019, 02:11 PM   #5
DPkiller
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

You probably have the industrial style plug (more square than the D style).

Yes new carts with the old style receptical do not have a red switch due to the reasons above.
DPkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:53 PM   #6
limocar
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

http://www.dpipower.com/store/media/...61_-_front.jpg
Old 04-06-2019, 09:00 PM   #7
DPkiller
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Yep, our 2018's and 2019's are just like that. Yes using the square industrial receptacle there is no interlock.

Don't waste your money converting it over to a 3 Triangle. It actually has less thicker contacts. There is a reason why EZGO steered away from the Triangles in those, because they can't handle the Amperage of the bigger Delta Q yellow's being feed 220V's.
DPkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO