lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-19-2019, 10:43 AM   #1
jrock81
Not Yet Wild

Default G29 speed increase on a budget?

Im looking at a 2013 yamaha, to increase the speed i need a controller at minimum? From there i can add a better motor ? I take it a 300 alltrax and bigger wires are the minimum would need? would i benifit from a 500 controller for later if i end up getting a motor ?
Also is there any model differences for 2013?
jrock81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-19-2019, 04:11 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: G29 speed increase on a budget?

What speed is it now? What speed do you require? (Both In mph please)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:10 PM   #3
jrock81
Not Yet Wild

Just factory, looking to do 20 at least
Old 04-20-2019, 12:43 PM   #4
jrock81
Not Yet Wild

Vin is jw9 311227 if that helps, it's currently at 12mph and i plan to get 22 inch tires as well
Old 04-20-2019, 03:14 PM   #5
cgtech

Yamaha

Stock controller can be upgraded to 19mph by dealer (which would be a little over 20 with the new tires), but it will still perform poorly and have a short life with the new tires. I suggest just skipping straight to a new controller 400a or larger. Glad you mentioned the tire size plans. This will require new cables for batteries And motor. The stock motor probably won't really like your large tire plans for too long, so start saving your pennies for a motor upgrade in the future. ScottyB has the best deals I know of.

Whatever you do, don't even consider high speed gears, the performance would be horrible, while killing the motor and controller.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:19 PM   #6
Raptorbob
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I have a 2018 Edrive PTV with a factory lift kit. Dealer tried inputting a speed code to get the cart from 15MPH to 20MPH. Apparently the factory had the controller locked out and the speed code would not take. I had the dealer install speed gears. (14.5:1 to 8:1 ratio). Speed went from 15MPH to 23MPH with no loss in performance at the low end. The cart has 20" diameter tires. I am very happy with the way it performs. By the way I live in Florida so do not have to contend with hills.
Raptorbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:09 PM   #7
cgtech

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptorbob View Post
I have a 2018 Edrive PTV with a factory lift kit. Dealer tried inputting a speed code to get the cart from 15MPH to 20MPH. Apparently the factory had the controller locked out and the speed code would not take. I had the dealer install speed gears. (14.5:1 to 8:1 ratio). Speed went from 15MPH to 23MPH with no loss in performance at the low end. The cart has 20" diameter tires. I am very happy with the way it performs. By the way I live in Florida so do not have to contend with hills.
You have a a AC power train, OP does not. And I have done gears on AC carts (10.5:1), and I know the claim of "no performance penalty" is just not true. It's a problem with physics, it just ain't physically gonna happen.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:17 AM   #8
Raptorbob
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

All that I can relate is what I feel in the seat of my pants. The cart accelerates fine, starts off smooth, no jerkyness. It accelerated really fast before and then when it reached 15MPH you could feel the power drop off like it was being retarded. I don't feel that now. Perhaps the acceleration is a little less but is wholly acceptable. You are right about the physics but in my case it was a good trade. Happy Easter
Raptorbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha