lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-01-2019, 09:58 AM   #11
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Open cell in one battery - huge voltage drop under slight load - replace all?

Freedom just means a fleet cart with factory lights. In later sepex carts (PDS in EZGO speak) the controller would accept a "personality plug" that would allow different speed limits, the fastest sometimes called the freedom plug. In series carts like yours, sometimes the factory put the controller and motor in the golf models that would normally go in the shuttles (Factory 4 seater). I don't know why they did this or if there was any sort of plan. Cgtech may have more insight.
If you have the tag in the driver cubby it should identify the motor as being 1.87 KW. The motor may have a label that says "high speed". The standard golf model had a 1.49 KW motor. Not much different but the standard golf model would run about 14mph while the ones with the bigger motor would get 17-19mph. 17 mph in the shuttles and 18-19 mph in the lighter golf models.
All this only applies to the "series" carts and although probably somewhat rare don't expect it to add any value. Still, thats a very nice specimen best we can tell from the picture and $250 is a steal even though its 20 years old. Sepex (DCS and PDS) are altogether different.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-02-2019, 09:38 AM   #12
n8huntsman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Open cell in one battery - huge voltage drop under slight load - replace all?

I don't know where I got 1999 from. It's a '98 but it does say HIGH SPEED! Is that controller the 400a model?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (172.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (174.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (105.0 KB, 0 views)
n8huntsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 02:05 PM   #13
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yes, from what I know thats the 400 amp controller (Curtis). There is a label but its on the bottom. Probably says 400amp 24-36 volt. If you are going to keep the cart and are considering going to 48v in the future, it might be worthwhile to take it out and look because its possible it might say 36-48 volt. Otherwise probably not worth it. The odds of it being 48v capable are low.

And that is the high speed motor. The standard motors say "fleet speed" on them.

So under optimum conditions (warm temp, aired up tires, healthy batteries, etc) that cart should run 17- 20mph on level pavement which is fast for a series cart. However in the big picture, "series" carts like this have been out of production for 10+ years. Modern carts achieve this level of performance with just controller programing and with relatively cheap and easy modifications produce noticeably better torque and even higher speeds. Of course none of this may matter to you at all.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:58 AM   #14
n8huntsman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I bought an actual load tester and discovered a second battery with an open circuit under load. This one was the one right at the other main cable. Are the two batteries at the ends of the series circuit the most susceptible to damage or was that just coincidence?
I decided to get a full set. Installed last night and took it for a little spin. Everything works great! Pretty zippy I though.
For charging, I probably wont be using it very oftern. Is it best practice to just leave it on the charger 24/7 and let the charger do its thing?
I've got a EZ-GO Power Wise charger.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:48 AM   #15
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The powerwise charger has no maintenance mode. You can leave the charger plugged in to the cart but it won't start a new charge on its own. If you don't use and charge the cart start a refresh charge every couple of weeks by unplugging the charger from the cart and plug it back in. The batteries will self discharge so neglecting them will destroy them in a relatively short time.

Go to this link: https://www.cartsunlimited.net/batte...y-work.htmland scroll to the bottom for a summary of battery care.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:16 PM   #16
n8huntsman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks. I didn't realize it didnt have a maintenance mode. I also found this helpful for new batteries:
https://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-break-in-.html
Old 05-09-2019, 08:51 PM   #17
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Strange my ez go factory installed power wise on board charger if left pluged in.
Once voltage drops below 50 volts will auto start charger?
Mine is a 2012 48volt cart if that matters
Maybe check charger site for your chargers options although I discovered this feature while working on lights while v m was hooked to pack and noticed charger auto started at 49.9 volts.

Either way I still monitor pack voltage and when it reach’s 50.2 volts. I plug in charger.(about every 2 , 3 weeks depending on temps.) My cart sits 70% of the time more then it gets used so battery maint. State of charge becomes more a task and charging is not a daily thing like those that use/ charge daily.
However battery maint. Must be done on regular basis reguardless of use. After all I want to get most out of my $800.00 battery investment.
IMO 😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:29 AM   #18
davewil@mc.net
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Another option is an inexpensive 7 day timer. I have mine turn on power to the charger twice a week for about 8 hours each time.

Woods 50002WD Indoor 7-Day Heavy Duty Plug-In Mechanical Timer, 1 Grounded Outlet https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006LYHE1M..._nhR1CbTA4FQZS
davewil@mc.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:42 AM   #19
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewil@mc.net View Post
Another option is an inexpensive 7 day timer. I have mine turn on power to the charger twice a week for about 8 hours each time.

Woods 50002WD Indoor 7-Day Heavy Duty Plug-In Mechanical Timer, 1 Grounded Outlet https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006LYHE1M..._nhR1CbTA4FQZS
That won't work with all chargers. Many require the low voltage DC to be switched, not the 120 VAC. Easy enough to accomplish, but a little more involved than simply switching the AC power. Again, this may work on some, just not all.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:52 AM   #20
n8huntsman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

FYI... I bought my batteries at Sams Club. They were $90 ea. When I brought the cores back a yesterday there was a sign on the counter. $20 off all golf and marine batteries. They honored it and I ended up paying $462 out the door for all 6 batteries. I bought two marine batteries with the savings while they were on sale. If anyone else is in the market might be worth a look. They are Duracell which is made by East Penn (Deka).
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO