lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-23-2019, 12:02 PM   #1
LabRat
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Battery Repost

Greeting, I am not sure if this is the correct method to ask for some advise, I am 422 in dog years and things get a little fuzzy every so often so please bear with my "Newbie" status.
my inquiry is concerning methods used by others to Re post a Battery after a post melt down or the loss of the OEM stud.
I would appreciate hearing your history both your success and failures. Please consider providing some feedback concerning my current method
1. Clean Area
2. Centerpunch the Secondary lead surface area next to the OEM stud
3. Drill a straight 1/4" hole approx 1" deep
4. Slightly Countersink drill out the hole to assist with threading in a new stud
5. use a stainless 5/16"-18unc fully thread bolt, 3" long,
6. Place (2) 5/16"-18unc (9/16" wide flat) onto bolt about 1 1/2" up
7. Thread in the new stud with a driver tool insure not to strip the new threads in the lead
8. tighten the bottom nut while holding the bolt hex flats with a wrench
9. cut off the head of the Bolt leaving enough stud to install cable & top nut.
10. using 2 wrenches tighten the cable.

i would appreciate any info, advice and criticism. We see about one "Meltdown" every week at our small shop down here in "redneckville"
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-23-2019, 05:30 PM   #2
bc40ton
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Battery Repost

Having to do with #9 I would cut the bolt head off first then double nut it and use a socket to torque it into the threaded hole. Then just use 2 wrenches to unlock the 2 nuts when it's deep n tight. I wouldn't want to use a saw that might jar it loose or a cutting wheel that would throw sparks. The rest seems fine to me.
bc40ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:41 PM   #3
rngilliland
Gone Wild

This is a youtube video showing how to repair a battery post using a hanger bolt. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVWYBRUlT6M It was made by Crash Test Dummy who posts here sometimes.
rngilliland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:58 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I have repaired many, with real good success. Doing just about what your suggesting. I keep 5/16 all thread rod around for just such repairs. I have only seen one or 2 failures of that repair ever. (Usually someone stripping the threads of the repair in the lead after the fact)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO