lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-06-2019, 03:07 PM   #21
Dwalls
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Load tested my US batteries- here are results

The knowledge and information here is never ending with almost every reply. I had no idea that there was temperature compensation for the electrolyte, I guess that it only stands to reason since some chargers have temp compensation built in.

A quick search and I found this for the ones like me that have a regular hydrometer or one of the quick read meters and wants to get real accurate with the numbers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-37.jpg (66.5 KB, 0 views)
Dwalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-06-2019, 03:49 PM   #22
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwalls View Post
The knowledge and information here is never ending with almost every reply. I had no idea that there was temperature compensation for the electrolyte, I guess that it only stands to reason since some chargers have temp compensation built in.

A quick search and I found this for the ones like me that have a regular hydrometer or one of the quick read meters and wants to get real accurate with the numbers.
Remember, it is the temperature of the electrolyte that counts. Air temperature is meaningless since lead-acid batteries have a huge thermal mass and electrolyte temperature lag air temperature by several hours.

I'm not a big fan of the quick read meters because the fill level is critical to the reading while the weighted float type are accurate with any amount of liquid in the column that floats the float and doesn't make the top of it touch anything.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 03:53 PM   #23
Dwalls
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Remember, it is the temperature of the electrolyte that counts. Air temperature is meaningless since lead-acid batteries have a huge thermal mass and electrolyte temperature lag air temperature by several hours.

I'm not a big fan of the quick read meters because the fill level is critical to the reading while the weighted float type are accurate with any amount of liquid in the column that floats the float and doesn't make the top of it touch anything.
Understood

Thank you
Dwalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 01:10 PM   #24
Conradconrad
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Should or can I measure the specific gravity of the batteries directly off a float charge or should I wait 12 hrs?
Conradconrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 01:53 PM   #25
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conradconrad View Post
Should or can I measure the specific gravity of the batteries directly off a float charge or should I wait 12 hrs?
Drive it about 100 yards or so and wait an hour. That will get rid of the slight surface charge caused by float charging.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:33 PM   #26
Conradconrad
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Drive it about 100 yards or so and wait an hour. That will get rid of the slight surface charge caused by float charging.
So what’s been interesting during this process of learning and diagnosing my batteries I have noticed the surface charge last very long. For example I just drove it about a mile and let it sit about 1.5 hours and it’s still measuring 46.03 on the Fluke.

Another example, I can use the cart for easily four or so miles in the morning, leave it unplugged and come back tomorrow and still be at about 44.95 v

I began measuring four batteries that had easy access to the triple cap opener that US batteries come with prior to removing three other battery cables

All three cells of four batteries measure well over the good mark, thus well over 1.300 more like 1.325 basically at the end of the label on the good end.

All four batteries are also literally 1/4 of an inch of water over the plates of each cell.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:54 PM   #27
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conradconrad View Post
So what’s been interesting during this process of learning and diagnosing my batteries I have noticed the surface charge last very long. For example I just drove it about a mile and let it sit about 1.5 hours and it’s still measuring 46.03 on the Fluke.

Another example, I can use the cart for easily four or so miles in the morning, leave it unplugged and come back tomorrow and still be at about 44.95 v

I began measuring four batteries that had easy access to the triple cap opener that US batteries come with prior to removing three other battery cables

All three cells of four batteries measure well over the good mark, thus well over 1.300 more like 1.325 basically at the end of the label on the good end.

All four batteries are also literally 1/4 of an inch of water over the plates of each cell.
Being low on water is very likely to be the reason for the high SG readings and a contributing factor to the high voltage readings. (Also, make sure the battery in your DVM is fresh.)

Suggest you charger batteries, top up the cells to the proper level (attached), recharge batteries, drive around a bit and recharge batteries again. Then take a short trip to diminish surface charge and note battery voltages, then measure the SG.

Also attached is a SoC chart for US Battery brand batteries. The voltages are an average for mature batteries and newer batteries will have slightly higher 100% SoC volltages while older batteries will be lower.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg usb_fill_line_IMG_7816_small2.jpg (223.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg USB SoC 36-42-48V.jpg (176.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-07-2019, 09:12 PM   #28
Conradconrad
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I can’t believe I got it backwards!!! I thought I read just above the plates but to be honest, rookie mistake as every manufacturer I’m sure has different specs.

I will do as advised, thank you!!
Old 06-07-2019, 09:15 PM   #29
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

FWIW:

The US2200 battery has about 6.5 quarts of electrolyte (832 fluid ounces) that is 27.8% sulfuric acid, or 231 fluid ounces (SG of the H2SO4 used is 1.835, so it is only about a 93.2% concentration) and 72.2% distilled water, or 600 fluid ounces.

Water is lost during the normal charge and discharge cycles, but the acid isn't, so when the electrolyte level is lower than designed, the acid concentration is higher than designed.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO