lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-07-2019, 04:11 PM   #1
mjp1850
Not Yet Wild

Lightbulb Battery Voltage Conversion

Hey everyone,

I’m new to golf cart upgrades and recently purchased a 1996 Club Car DS. I’ve been researching and prepping my mods to get this old gal up to snuff with my neighborhood golf carters and have a question I would like to get some help on regarding batteries and voltages. I made the critical mistake of listening to the guy I bought the cart from and not checking for myself when he told me it was a 48v cart. I used his advice to purchase a new electric motor and controller package from Golf Cart King where I noted that my unit was a 48v unit after which I discovered I actually have a 36v (6 x 6v) battery setup (I’m an idiot). My first question is will this affect the motor/controller if I have a 36v setup on a motor/controller that is setup for 48v? Note that that purchase page/details for the controller and motor say it will work for both 36v and 48v setups; not sure if they tune it or switch it one way or the other since they specifically made me note in the purchae order that I had 48v batteries. Second question is would there by any other areas I need to worry about changing out if I decide to go ahead and bite the bullet and upgrade the batteries to 48v in a 6 x 8v setup for new batteries? The new motor/controller package I purchased comes with a new solenoid kit so I’m just not sure if there are any other complexities I need to consider aside from the cost of the new batteries to upgrade the batteries.

This is the actual spec info that came along with the motor/controller package:

Includes Motor, SR48500 (5K-0) Controller (500 Amp Programmable), Complete Wire Kit & Solenoid Kit (includes resistor, diode, mounting brackets, and hardware). The Motor fits on the 10 Tooth Club Car Differential Spline. Can Be Used on 36V or 48V. If longer range is desired over top speed, then the controller can be reprogrammed easily to do so.”

So, based on that description I don’t think I need to upgrade to 48v but from what I’ve read, it will work better for us on both longevity, overall run time, and powering all of the additional upgrades we’re installing (subwoofer, 2 x 6.5” speakers, headlights, media head unit, LED lights, etc.). Thanks again for your help and advice.

Last edited by mjp1850; 07-07-2019 at 04:27 PM.. Reason: Adding more details
mjp1850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-07-2019, 04:22 PM   #2
mjp1850
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Battery Voltage Conversion

Follow up and side note, this is the actual spec info that came along with the motor/controller package:

Includes Motor, SR48500 (5K-0) Controller (500 Amp Programmable), Complete Wire Kit & Solenoid Kit (includes resistor, diode, mounting brackets, and hardware). The Motor fits on the 10 Tooth Club Car Differential Spline. Can Be Used on 36V or 48V. If longer range is desired over top speed, then the controller can be reprogrammed easily to do so.

So, based on that description I don’t think I need to upgrade to 48v but from what I’ve read, it will work better for us on both longevity, overall run time, and powering all of the additional upgrades we’re installing (subwoofer, 2 x 6.5” speakers, headlights, media head unit, LED lights, etc.). Thanks again for your help and advice.
mjp1850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 07:23 PM   #3
HaulnA$$
Getting Wild
Club Car

The SR48500 will work on either 36V or 48V. If you use six 8V batteries to make 48V, you will see much more speed by keeping your 36V series motor. You can expect 22 to 23 mph on stock tires but run time will be about the same as a 36V setup. If you use eight 6V batteries to make 48V, you will increase run time significantly. It has to do with the amp hour capacity of the batteries in series. You will defined want to go 48V either way. HTH
HaulnA$$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:13 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If you have a 1996 CC with 36v it is a resistor coil drive system.
If you want more performance or reliability from it it will need to be converted to solid state speed control.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:38 PM   #5
ONEDAY
Gone Wild

He bought a new controller and Motor. He's asking for help

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
If you have a 1996 CC with 36v it is a resistor coil drive system.
If you want more performance or reliability from it it will need to be converted to solid state speed control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp1850 View Post
Hey everyone,

I’m new to golf cart upgrades and recently purchased a 1996 Club Car DS. I’ve been researching and prepping my mods to get this old gal up to snuff with my neighborhood golf carters and have a question I would like to get some help on regarding batteries and voltages. I made the critical mistake of listening to the guy I bought the cart from and not checking for myself when he told me it was a 48v cart. I used his advice to purchase a new electric motor and controller package from Golf Cart King where I noted that my unit was a 48v unit after which I discovered I actually have a 36v (6 x 6v) battery setup (I’m an idiot). My first question is will this affect the motor/controller if I have a 36v setup on a motor/controller that is setup for 48v? Note that that purchase page/details for the controller and motor say it will work for both 36v and 48v setups; not sure if they tune it or switch it one way or the other since they specifically made me note in the purchae order that I had 48v batteries. Second question is would there by any other areas I need to worry about changing out if I decide to go ahead and bite the bullet and upgrade the batteries to 48v in a 6 x 8v setup for new batteries? The new motor/controller package I purchased comes with a new solenoid kit so I’m just not sure if there are any other complexities I need to consider aside from the cost of the new batteries to upgrade the batteries.

This is the actual spec info that came along with the motor/controller package:

Includes Motor, SR48500 (5K-0) Controller (500 Amp Programmable), Complete Wire Kit & Solenoid Kit (includes resistor, diode, mounting brackets, and hardware). The Motor fits on the 10 Tooth Club Car Differential Spline. Can Be Used on 36V or 48V. If longer range is desired over top speed, then the controller can be reprogrammed easily to do so.”

ONEDAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:49 PM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp1850 View Post
-snip-
I discovered I actually have a 36v (6 x 6v) battery setup (I’m an idiot). My first question is will this affect the motor/controller if I have a 36v setup on a motor/controller that is setup for 48v? Note that that purchase page/details for the controller and motor say it will work for both 36v and 48v setups; not sure if they tune it or switch it one way or the other since they specifically made me note in the purchae order that I had 48v batteries. Second question is would there by any other areas I need to worry about changing out if I decide to go ahead and bite the bullet and upgrade the batteries to 48v in a 6 x 8v setup for new batteries?
No, you have everything you need. That kit gives you all you need to run. As HaulinA$$ said, it would greatly benefit you to go with the 48v set up. Even if you just add 2 more 6v batteries. And that will give you a LOT of amp-hour capacity.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, club car ds, upgrade, voltage
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car