lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-12-2019, 11:53 AM   #11
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Batteries blew up! - Charger recommendations

MAC charger is a multi stage smart charger, it's better than the old days. It does not feature float mode, but it is supposed to come on as needed to keep batteries fully charged. (I never count on that claim, no matter who made the charger).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-09-2019, 08:25 AM   #12
tyrone shoelaces
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
MAC charger is a multi stage smart charger, it's better than the old days. It does not feature float mode, but it is supposed to come on as needed to keep batteries fully charged. (I never count on that claim, no matter who made the charger).
I searched MAC Charger and came up with something to charge my iPad

This charger is tempting because they claim it will work with or without a OBC

It will also work with a malfunctioning obc (they say)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpzG2AoGYqE
tyrone shoelaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 09:33 AM   #13
champ1956
Not Yet Wild

I have the Summit II with blue tooth...impressed so far
champ1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 10:23 AM   #14
oldnavycdr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

What happened to the love for Accusense/DPI chargers? I don't see much about them on this forum anymore.
oldnavycdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 11:34 AM   #15
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnavycdr View Post
What happened to the love for Accusense/DPI chargers? I don't see much about them on this forum anymore.
Their Gen IV chargers don't float charge.

I don't know the whole story and would like to, but have heard rumors that the Feds got involved someway or another and they eliminated the float charge feature that was one of the reasons they were so popular.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 11:57 AM   #16
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Their Gen IV chargers don't float charge.

I don't know the whole story and would like to, but have heard rumors that the Feds got involved someway or another and they eliminated the float charge feature that was one of the reasons they were so popular.
JB do you know more about this fed involvement with the float charge feature? My favorite charger is a STANLEY that chargers anything from 6 to 48 volts (but not 42) and floats. Quite handy to have. I went to order another one a couple days ago and they have been discontinued with nothing similar available.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 12:21 PM   #17
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Here's a guess: California regulations limit standby power to 0.5 watts or less since 2007. (so called vampire electronics like when your TV is off is it really off). Possibly this is spreading to other states and or Fed regulations. Like many things its cheaper to make one version of a device instead of two. A California version and a 49 state version. -- Just a guess.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 12:28 PM   #18
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I guess DPI could not have been more inefficient than keeping a 20 lb transformer running all the time to provide a few milliamps for the micro-processor that monitors the voltage.

Floating a series of FLA batteries was never a good idea anyway otherwise they could have easily designed a more efficient way to monitor the batteries.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 12:37 PM   #19
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
I guess DPI could not have been more inefficient than keeping a 20 lb transformer running all the time to provide a few milliamps for the micro-processor that monitors the voltage.

Floating a series of FLA batteries was never a good idea anyway otherwise they could have easily designed a more efficient way to monitor the batteries.
And I could care less about the float feature as well. In fact the charger/fan on the one I am talking about never shuts off because of it. Although when "gel" is selected instead of FLA or AGM I think it does shut off completely.

One that would monitor and come on as needed would be much better IMHO.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 02:22 PM   #20
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
Here's a guess: California regulations limit standby power to 0.5 watts or less since 2007. (so called vampire electronics like when your TV is off is it really off). Possibly this is spreading to other states and or Fed regulations. Like many things its cheaper to make one version of a device instead of two. A California version and a 49 state version. -- Just a guess.
I believe this to be the exact reason, and they "might have" said as much on the phone.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO