lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-20-2019, 12:28 PM   #1
The Villager
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Volt meter

Just got back from a 25 mile ride on my new EZGO 48 volt. 6 8volt batteries. Meter was on last circle reading empty. Put my volt meter to the batteries and got a reading of 49.8 volts. What are your thoughts.
The Villager is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-20-2019, 12:55 PM   #2
jneubig
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Volt meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villager View Post
Just got back from a 25 mile ride on my new EZGO 48 volt. 6 8volt batteries. Meter was on last circle reading empty. Put my volt meter to the batteries and got a reading of 49.8 volts. What are your thoughts.
Shows how unreliable the meters are. One of the first things I always install is a digital voltage meter with voltage readouts. Considerably better imho. Here is a state of charge chart just in case you don't have one:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SOC new.jpg (84.8 KB, 0 views)
jneubig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 01:09 PM   #3
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thoughts:

1. Reinforces my belief that the factory battery meter in RXV's are inaccurate. They display what the controller thinks is the SOC.
2. Reinforces my belief that the RXV is a better cart with the 6x8v battery configuration than with the 4x12v they usually come with.

I am assuming you are talking about the RXV in your avatar and it has the factory battery (SOC) gage.

If it was me, I would want to verify the volt meter reading with another meter or if not available put a new battery in your meter and retest. In my experience a weak battery in my voltmeter caused it to erroneously read high.
Once you are confident in your hand held meter then you know the factory meter on the cart can't be trusted. In your case it is quite pessimistic which tracks with what I have observed with the many RXVs in my area.

I use 2 SOC gages, both connected directly to the batteries bypassing the controller altogether.

People will probably ask what batteries you have. Brand and capacity, charger etc.

I have had similar range vs state of charge experiences with my RXV also with 6x8v but with a rear seat, long canopy etc. in the Atlanta area. Not as flat as you are.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 02:24 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Also, ezgos rxv meter reads "empty" at an actual SOC of 25%, assuming it's overall accuracy. And a rxv should shut down at roughly 20% SOC.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
soc
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO