lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-21-2019, 02:29 PM   #1
Glhunter
Not Yet Wild

Default New batteries

I am looking to get new batteries for my 2009 RXV. What is the best brand out there today? I spoke with my local dealer and he said that Trojan use to be the best but they are the same as US batteries now. Is this correct? I looked and can not find any info on this. Also I was wondering the age of my current US batteries (I see a stamped code located at the bottom left that reads 2A112D2). Would this mean A = Jan and the 11=2011?
Glhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-21-2019, 07:04 PM   #2
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: New batteries

Are you having problem with current batteries?
I switched from Trojans to US batteries this year.price slightly cheaper but specs better then Trojans.
Either brand good,just get highest capacity you can afford😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:18 PM   #3
BoDidly
Not Yet Wild

I'm an old Trojan fan . But do notice NAPA batt is making a few in sales.

Perhaps the battery brain cells on here can enlighten us ?
BoDidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:03 PM   #4
Glhunter
Not Yet Wild

Yes I am starting to have issues (charged for long time and then the charger goes to a red blinking light). Loss of power also.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:31 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I'm pretty sure it is at least a 5-way tie for first place between (Listed alphabetically) Crown, Deka (East Penn), Exide, Trojan and US Battery, with several other brands not far behind.

The number of charge cycles a battery has is mostly determined by the average SoC (State of Charge) maintained during its cradle to grave lifespan. Climate of location where battery is used and how well maintained are other important factors also. Attached chart show estimated charge cycles available vs average SoC for 4 of the top brands. The data is published by the manufacturers, so the statistical purity may be iffy, but the trend undeniable.

Since a higher capacity battery ends up with a higher SoC at the end of a trip than a lower capacity battery making same trip in same cart with same driver, etc., Higher capacity batteries (higher AH rating) last longer.

Bottom line; Get the highest AH batteries you can afford and buy them locally. Also, look at the warranty.

------------
If your RXV has a 4 X 12V battery pack, convert it to a 6 X 8V for longer battery life.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SoC vs Lifespan.jpg (127.8 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:40 PM   #6
Glhunter
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, I am planning on getting the best battery and I was planning on getting the Trojans. But I seemed as if my ezgo Shop was trying to push the US instead of Trojan. I was surprised by this so I wanted the boards opinion.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:50 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glhunter View Post
Thanks, I am planning on getting the best battery and I was planning on getting the Trojans. But I seemed as if my ezgo Shop was trying to push the US instead of Trojan. I was surprised by this so I wanted the boards opinion.
It's a coin toss between Trojan and US battery (or the others I listed). Get the highest AH at the best price locally for the best bang for the buck.

I went with Exide a few years back because it was the best bang for the buck when fuel costs and driving time was factored into the equation. They will be 7 years old in November.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:11 PM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
I'm pretty sure it is at least a 5-way tie for first place between (Listed alphabetically) Crown, Deka (East Penn), Exide, Trojan and US Battery, with several other brands not far behind.

The number of charge cycles a battery has is mostly determined by the average SoC (State of Charge) maintained during its cradle to grave lifespan. Climate of location where battery is used and how well maintained are other important factors also. Attached chart show estimated charge cycles available vs average SoC for 4 of the top brands. The data is published by the manufacturers, so the statistical purity may be iffy, but the trend undeniable.

Since a higher capacity battery ends up with a higher SoC at the end of a trip than a lower capacity battery making same trip in same cart with same driver, etc., Higher capacity batteries (higher AH rating) last longer.

Bottom line; Get the highest AH batteries you can afford and buy them locally. Also, look at the warranty.

------------
If your RXV has a 4 X 12V battery pack, convert it to a 6 X 8V for longer battery life.
I'm very skeptical of US batteries claim of up to 1500 more cycles, especially considering it has the highest voltage & SG of the group. I would think the higher SG & voltage would result in a little less overall cycles.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 11:54 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
I'm very skeptical of US batteries claim of up to 1500 more cycles, especially considering it has the highest voltage & SG of the group. I would think the higher SG & voltage would result in a little less overall cycles.
I view the data supplied by manufactures as iffy since they all bias the data gathering processes in their favor.

The mystery deepens even further when you look at the SG and VPC (Volts per Cell) in the SoC data provided by Trojan and US Battery.

Trojan SG @ 100% Soc = 1.277 (@80°F)
US Battery SG @ 100% SoC = 1.270 (@80°F)

Trojan VPC @ 100% Soc = 2.122V (@80°F)
US Battery VPC @ 100% SoC = 2.137V (@80°F)

I'm not sure how US Battery manages to get a higher cell voltage with a lower SG, but that's what their data indicates. The Trojan data is from their User's Guide and the US Battery data was e-mailed to me from their engineering department.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trojan battery SoC chart.jpg (162.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png US Battery SoC vs OCV table from USB.png (185.3 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO