lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-26-2009, 10:42 PM   #1
Xtreme Cartz
The Fabricator

Default Helix wearing out

I replaced the helix on my G2 rear end with the new type about 350 miles ago. The sliders(if thats the correct term for the black plastic thingys) have been gradually wearing down and the sheave is now about to start touching the metal of the helix. Is there a problem with the inner sheave that would cause the helix sliders to wear fast or are 350 miles the life of a helix?
Xtreme Cartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-26-2009, 11:14 PM   #2
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Default Re: Helix wearing out

They are ramp shoes and are designed to wear out. make sure not to grease them, grease will hold dirt and that will shorten the life.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:25 PM   #3
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Extreme, are you running a tourqe spring? Did you reuse the old sliding sheave? If so the riding points on the sliding sheave may have been damaged enough ( with the extra pressure of the tourqe spring) to damage the shoe ramps. Just a thought.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:57 PM   #4
Xtreme Cartz
The Fabricator

Ramp shoes! Thats what they are called, I couldn't remember for anything.

Smallblock, I'm not running the torque spring anymore but I did reuse the old sliding sheave when I replaced the old helix. I bet you are right and thats the problem. When I put the rear end in my cart it had completely worn out ramp shoes. Think it be possible the sheave is messed up? How do you tell for sure?
Xtreme Cartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 12:06 PM   #5
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme Cartz View Post
Ramp shoes! Thats what they are called, I couldn't remember for anything.

Smallblock, I'm not running the torque spring anymore but I did reuse the old sliding sheave when I replaced the old helix. I bet you are right and thats the problem. When I put the rear end in my cart it had completely worn out ramp shoes. Think it be possible the sheave is messed up? How do you tell for sure?
Look at the mateing surface (where it would touch the ramp shoes), if the aluminum is gouged/grooved or just plane worn, it could prematurly wear out the shoes. Is you spring (pre load) set at B-3 or B-4?
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha